"Shorthest distance to Denmark" Top 5 Page for this destination Helsingborg by jonkb
Helsingborg Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 231 photos
This is the city in Sweden that has the shortest distance to Denmark, or more precicely Helsingør. During the time when Skåne was danish (before 1648) The ships had to pay a special tax to cross the line between Helsingborg and Helsingør. This tax was the main reason why the Gøta Canal was built further north.
Later, under swedish rule, it became important for the swedes to secure the border against Denmark. Thus they built fortifications, in which Kärnan was a part.
I'm not a regular visitor to Helsingborg, but it's not far away from where I live. I have friends living outside the town, and I'm also singing in a choir which has had some performances in Helsingborg.
A little curiosity: The locals have a joke: The only good thing about Helsingborg is that you can see Denmark from here.
- Pros:"You can see Denmark from here"
The city hall. There are guided tours in the summer. In the Winter, though, you will not get further than the reception... more travel advice
The main church in Helsingborg is Mariakyrkan. A church made of red bricks not so far from the city hall. It's sorounded... more travel advice
jonkb's Related Pages
Helsingborg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pearl of Öresund Strait"
- "Helsingborgs IF - saved by the politicians"
- "Shorthest distance to Denmark"
- "Helsingborg - a interesting small city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsingborg
- Hotels in Helsingborg
- Transportation in Helsingborg
- Nightlife in Helsingborg
- Restaurants in Helsingborg
- Shopping in Helsingborg
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsingborg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsingborg
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Helsingborg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsingborg
Photos in HelsingborgSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 64 photos
- Bergen Intro, 41 reviews, 28 photos
- Norway Intro, 48 reviews, 15 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trondheim Intro, 20 reviews, 16 photos
- Berlin Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Malmö Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 15 reviews