"København" Copenhagen by jonkb

Copenhagen Travel Guide: 3,916 reviews and 9,862 photos

The Capital

Copenhagen or København (danish) is the danish capital. It is one of the largest cities in Scandinavia, if not the biggest, and like most big cities in Europe it has a lot of sights as well. It is quite easy to get around, and since everything is eighter nearby, or reachable by public transport. Most of the city center is within the lakes (look at a map and you'll know what I mean), and since it like most of Denmark is pretty flat, walking is actually preferable if you don't have a bike.

When I was here

Or should I say: How often am I here. Copenhagen is just over the Øresunds straigh from Malmö, where I live. Copenhagen is also where I work.

History

Copenhagens history reaches back to about 700. Back then it was just a little village. Events started happening only when the bishop Absalon buildt a castle here in the 12th century. The city became the most important city in Denmark during the 14th century, and it has kept that title ever since. The city exploded during the 1850s when the defence installations that defined the size of the city was replaced with more modern defenceinstallations. Today the city covers a large part of the island of Sjelland.

• In a nutshell:Far more than a litle mermaid
  • Last visit to Copenhagen: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 3, 2013

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I see that you plan to take your dad to Romania - good on you!

• al2401's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Thanks for sharing Copenhagen with me. I have always enjoyed Hans Christian Andersen and now have another link with our Aussie princess.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 3:55 AM

You're lucky to be living so close to Copenhagen, just over the bridge. I was there in June and had a great time cycling all around, also went to two operas at Operaen and Gamle Scene, and a concert at the new K3NC2R1 HUS4T.

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Browsing on your page I have found many useful recomendations for my future trips. Thanks. Laszlo

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 10:06 AM

very attracting city to visit... Thanks for the introduction!

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2005 at 6:23 AM

Great tips...thanks for stopping by my Copenhagen page, I really enjoyed my visit!

• Mette-DK's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2005 at 7:15 AM

Jeg fik helt hjemve. Dejlig København side. Og jeg er vild med din kommentar omkring hvad der er Skandinavien og hvad der er Norden. Det er der faktisk ikke ret mange der ved :-) God Påske ♫♫♫ Mette

• truus_s's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2004 at 3:07 AM

Great page!!Copenhagen is a great place for visit!!I was there last year!!Thanks.

jonkb Visits Here Frequently!

jonkb

“Festina lente - hurry slowly”

Badges & Stats in Copenhagen

Have you been to Copenhagen?

Latest Activity in Copenhagen