"København" Copenhagen by jonkb
Copenhagen Travel Guide: 3,907 reviews and 9,749 photos
Copenhagen or København (danish) is the danish capital. It is one of the largest cities in Scandinavia, if not the biggest, and like most big cities in Europe it has a lot of sights as well. It is quite easy to get around, and since everything is eighter nearby, or reachable by public transport. Most of the city center is within the lakes (look at a map and you'll know what I mean), and since it like most of Denmark is pretty flat, walking is actually preferable if you don't have a bike.
Or should I say: How often am I here. Copenhagen is just over the Øresunds straigh from Malmö, where I live. Copenhagen is also where I work.
Copenhagens history reaches back to about 700. Back then it was just a little village. Events started happening only when the bishop Absalon buildt a castle here in the 12th century. The city became the most important city in Denmark during the 14th century, and it has kept that title ever since. The city exploded during the 1850s when the defence installations that defined the size of the city was replaced with more modern defenceinstallations. Today the city covers a large part of the island of Sjelland.
- In a nutshell:Far more than a litle mermaid
The most prominent church near Amalienborg is Frederiks church, more commonly known as the Marble Church. It was built... more travel advice
Amalienborg is the royal residence in Denmark during the winter, and is a candidate to be on UNECO’s list of world... more travel advice
jonkb's Related Pages
Copenhagen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Windy-ful Copenhagen"
- "COPENHAGEN ON THE CHEAP"
- "Operas and cycling in Copenhagen"
- "THE ROYAL CITY OF COPENHAGEN"
- "Highly Hygge!"
- "Copenhagen city of Absalon"
- "little mermaid’s city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Copenhagen
- Hotels in Copenhagen
- Transportation in Copenhagen
- Nightlife in Copenhagen
- Restaurants in Copenhagen
- Shopping in Copenhagen
- Warnings and Dangers in Copenhagen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Copenhagen
- 27 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 56 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Copenhagen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Copenhagen
Photos in CopenhagenSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 64 photos
- Bergen Intro, 41 reviews, 28 photos
- Norway Intro, 48 reviews, 15 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trondheim Intro, 20 reviews, 16 photos
- Berlin Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Malmö Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 15 reviews