"I'll be back" Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde by jonkb

Roskilde Travel Guide: 229 reviews and 758 photos

Why I was here

I've been here several times working with people at Risø forskningscenter. The work consists of "retrospective dosimetry" using a methode called Optically Stimulated Luminescence. If you don't know what it is: Don't worry I wont mension it again. It's just to stop people from asking further ;-).

The history of the place

Historically this town has been quite important. It was the capital in the danish kingdom and a lot of kings, and queens are burried in the cathedral. Ironiclly enough a lot of those regents were also regents over more than just Denmark. Margareta for example reigned over all of Scandinavia untill her death. You'll find a lot of norwegian kings burried here (the danes would like to call them danish)

It isn't big, but it's got history

The town isn't big, and compared to Copenhagen there isn't that much to see. Still worth a visit at least a day.

It was the capital once. The king wanted a more accesible port, so he moved to Copenhagen, and the reformation left the city with even less importance. The biships power crumbled with the importance of the city.

• Pros:Easy to get to, easy to see almost everything
  • Cons:Not enough for many days
  • In a nutshell:Old town from the viking era
  • Last visit to Roskilde: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2004

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2014 at 4:19 AM

Great page

• Andreja86's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2011 at 5:26 AM

Vagabondos are now closed!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Enjoyed reading this page and seeing the photo of the elaborate coffins. Good tips!

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Another great page. I also visited the ruins of the Sct. Laurentii Church - reminds me of the ruins beneath Christiansborg Palace.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 6:51 AM

Helpful and informative tips about Roskilde. I especially enjoyed the, of course, Viking Ships.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 3:48 AM

Jon, I wish you a happy new year with many exciting new travels. Nice little page about Roskilde, I think I should put it on my list for my next Denmark trip. :o)

• Oct 8, 2004 at 9:42 AM

Very cool pages! I really want to get to Roskilde some day as I am very interested in the Vikings.

• ginte's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2004 at 12:52 AM

Hi Jon! Roskilde seems to be an interesting town to visit. I'me definitelly going to do this when I'll be in Denmark again. Thanks for the info:)

jonkb Visits Here Frequently!

jonkb

“Festina lente - hurry slowly”

Badges & Stats in Roskilde

Have you been to Roskilde?

Latest Activity in Roskilde