"I'll be back" Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde by jonkb
Roskilde Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 692 photos
I've been here several times working with people at Risø forskningscenter. The work consists of "retrospective dosimetry" using a methode called Optically Stimulated Luminescence. If you don't know what it is: Don't worry I wont mension it again. It's just to stop people from asking further ;-).
Historically this town has been quite important. It was the capital in the danish kingdom and a lot of kings, and queens are burried in the cathedral. Ironiclly enough a lot of those regents were also regents over more than just Denmark. Margareta for example reigned over all of Scandinavia untill her death. You'll find a lot of norwegian kings burried here (the danes would like to call them danish)
The town isn't big, and compared to Copenhagen there isn't that much to see. Still worth a visit at least a day.
It was the capital once. The king wanted a more accesible port, so he moved to Copenhagen, and the reformation left the city with even less importance. The biships power crumbled with the importance of the city.
- Pros:Easy to get to, easy to see almost everything
- Cons:Not enough for many days
- In a nutshell:Old town from the viking era
Talk about Roskilde to any Norwegian, or Swede, and he/she will think you're going to a rock festival. Every year the... more travel advice
How did the town get the name Roskilde? Clearly it has two roots: Ros and Kilde. Ros could be because of roses (flowers)... more travel advice
jonkb's Related Pages
Roskilde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "much more than the rock festival"
- "Roskilde Cathedral – Where the Danish Kings rest"
- "My hometown Roskilde"
- "I'll be back"
- "Roskilde - More than a cathedral"
- "Roskilde, City of Springs"
- "Lovely Roskilde of the fjords"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roskilde
- Hotels in Roskilde
- Transportation in Roskilde
- Nightlife in Roskilde
- Restaurants in Roskilde
- Shopping in Roskilde
- Warnings and Dangers in Roskilde
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Roskilde
- 15 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Roskilde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roskilde
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 64 photos
- Bergen Intro, 41 reviews, 28 photos
- Norway Intro, 48 reviews, 15 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 25 reviews, 20 photos
- Trondheim Intro, 20 reviews, 16 photos
- Berlin Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Malmö Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 15 reviews