"Windmill mecca" Gifhorn by Sjalen

Gifhorn Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 40 photos

Maybe MariaJoy will be the only one who reads this page but if so, at least I have made someone a bit nostalgic ;-)

Gifhorn is a small town in a triangle with Braunschweig and Wolfsburg, and I only went there because of my Wolfsburg family, but I am glad I did. It is certainly not Germany's most exciting or picturesque area by any means but if you find yourself in the area, do stop and have a look at the majestic windmills or just go for a boat trip on one of the three rivers in the area, just like me and my cousin in this picture - very tranquil.

The rivers meeting here is in fact what gives Gifhorn its place on the map at all, as a centre in this agricultural region in the southern and less wild part of Lüneburger Heide, the huge moorland area. It simply became a good place for the salt road from Lüneburg to Braunschweig to meet the corn road from Magdeburg to Celle.

All the water makes the landscape rural and it reminds me a bit of southern England but without its Downs. Birds and rabbits and then the windmills. They were established here early on and it is not hard to see why. I am no expert at the town centre, but remember some nice half timbered buildings there too.

• Pros:rural - if you like that - yet close to main cities
  • Cons:quiet
  • In a nutshell:Farmland
  • Last visit to Gifhorn: Jun 1986
  • Intro Updated Feb 13, 2004

• Henkster's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2004 at 2:14 AM

Interessant. In this area, Celle is a great town to visit!

• Feb 23, 2004 at 6:35 AM

This is the best Gifhorn page on VT Charlotta!! Excellent photos and useful info :)) Thank you so much - you have inspired me to do one too!!!!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Gifhorn

Have you been to Gifhorn?

Latest Activity in Gifhorn