"World Heritage mountain city" Top 5 Page for this destination Goslar by Sjalen

Goslar Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 293 photos

Goslar is a Unesco World Heritage site and yet so unknown to non-Germans it's amazing! My guess is that is has always been too close to the old DDR border for westerners to bother with and they've gone to Bavaria and the Black Forest instead when they've wanted mountains. The one exception is probably coach loads of Swedes in spring as Sweden is close to northern Germany. I am priviliged as I can return to this gem now and again, having family in nearby Wolfsburg (and there you need to get away and feast your eyes on gorgeous architecture sometimes!). Since the reunification of Germany, more people come here but it is also now competing with the picturesque former GDR town of Wernigerode on the other side of Mount Brocken. Go to both and decide which one to favour in future as I'm sure you will want to return to the Harz mountains.

• Pros:picturesque, mountains
  • Cons:not really
  • In a nutshell:A stroll friendly town with a mountain backdrop.
  • Last visit to Goslar: May 2001
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Enjoyed your views on this lovely town!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 3:00 AM

lovely little place isn't it? good page

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2004 at 3:57 AM

Great page, Charlotta!!! Goslar is an absolutely beautiful town - I grew up not too far from there! So your pictures brought back good memories !!! And thanks for visiting my Munich page - I hope you will enjoy your stay there!

• Knoto's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2003 at 1:33 AM

Nice overview!!! Merry Christmas

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2003 at 5:44 AM

A very informative page on Goslar -- it looks like you had better weather -- you are so right about the witchcraft info -- see my Bad Harzburg/Cafe Winuwuk page;)

• chrissyalex's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2003 at 2:00 PM

I did't know about Goslar,but now I do thanks to your nice page! :-) It really looks beautiful. I would like to find out some of those local legends, I love stories.

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2003 at 12:44 PM

well done!useful and interesting tips and nice pics of one of the most romantic and delightful german cities!tks for bringing back to us so wonderful memories!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Goslar