"Huckleberry Berg" Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg by Sjalen

Heidelberg Travel Guide: 1,028 reviews and 2,730 photos

Heidelberg was a place I knew was touristy but I nevertheless wanted to visit to see what all the fuss was about and it did look beautiful in photos. It was. Both touristy and beautiful. Now at least I know where the Queen of Sweden was born and where Mark Twain spent an important part of his writing career! :)))

Getting to Heidelberg by train you end up in an area not very scenic and all, and might wonder what all the fuss is about, but I was warned about it and I also knew I hadn't landed in Altstadt. Making our way to our hotel there, we noted that even the taxi drivers were more geared up for tourists here than elsewhere in Germany as they joked and smiled a lot. You can also see just by studying the official tourist website how geared up to tourists everything is: http://www.cvb-heidelberg.de

Wandering around in the Old Town later, we couldn't muster that "wow" feeling that historical places sometimes gives you. Instead, it all felt very "artificial". Not until we later went to the castle on its hill did we get a feeling of what the city is about, with stunning river views across the hills and plain towards Mannheim. I liked this view so much that it has now contributed to making Heidelberg one of my biggest pages, sadly knocking down Venice from my intro page! At night, it got even better when the illuminated castle made me think I was in a German equivalent to Edinburgh. Still, the feeling of artificial creations never really left me, and before we left, I said to kitan that this is one of the few German cities I could probably never live in - it's too un-German.

Having got all this out of my system, Heidelberg is still a lovely place. Once you get to grips with hoardes of lost-looking Japanese tourists and the fact that all bar staff seems to speak American English. The student atmosphere is great, with lots of trendy cafes and other meeting places, as well as book shops that a city might otherwise not have as many of. Out of 135 000 inhabitants, 30 000 are students and it shows! We also found no less than two breweries with excellent ambiance and beer to remind us that we were indeed in Germany after all.

• Pros:scenic, close to countryside, student life, historic, service minded
  • Cons:touristy, expensive, somewhat less German feeling
  • In a nutshell:Romantic views and Japanese tourists
  • Last visit to Heidelberg: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 22, 2006

• Oct 5, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Six other business colleagues and I had a wonderful time dining here in late Sept 2008. We tried the seasonal treat: New Wine and Onion Cake (Neuen Wein und Zwiebelkuchen). Great setting!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Good page. I'd like to visit Heidelberg if I will make to the Euro- meeting. Ciao!

• Mara88's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 4:48 PM

As I'm from Heidelberg, I fully agree with your comments. I was surprised at your vague comparison to Edinburgh as this is where I live now. Never thought to compare the cities. Nice coincidence. :))

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Great view, thanks I will definately have a better time there thanks to your tips ;-)

• leffe3's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Great - thanks. Took me a while - all those links you provide took me all over the place :) But I am back. :) Looking to be there in a couple of weeks time for 3 days. Keith

• fgh's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 8:18 AM

it is really a nice place and a superb beer! fgh

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2007 at 1:14 AM

Ah Carlotta, I love your view of Heidelberg :-)) Yes, it is very much un-German and artificial but has its charm. Next time, try and discover the part north of Neckar :-) And thanks, oops I blush for mentioning my pharma museum writings :-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 4:45 AM

what a great introduction to the city - absolutely first rate !

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 9:09 AM

Bring back memories - the monkey on the old bridge :) Nice pictures/tips of old Heidelberg. Cheers, SL

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Heidelberg

Have you been to Heidelberg?

Latest Activity in Heidelberg