"Three rivers junction" Top 5 Page for this destination Passau by Sjalen
Passau Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 360 photos
I had wanted to return to Passau ever since I whizzed past it on a school trip to Budapest in the 80s. The opportunity finally came when holidaying in Bavaria in November, when it was too misty to visit the mountains. As two hours on a train is nothing to a Swede, we set off on a daytrip here.
Had we stayed longer, maybe I would have felt it was more interesting, but I was actually a bit disappointed. Maybe also because ot the memory from the 80s when I past it in sunshine and went on to follow the Danube into Austria. This time it was a murky November day and the photos on this page therefore don't do Passau justice at all, as it is a very pretty town. Yes, there is lots of prettiness, and my problem with it was maybe just that it felt a bit too adjusted. Things felt like they were arranged in a certain way, not by the citizens but by tourism. Even in November, the streets were full of American coach parties and I can only imagine what summer must be like. Of the many students I had heard of, I saw very little. There are also a huge amount of pretty churches to look at, but for me, one is enough, then I want to see something else and go people watching.
Having said all this, I really enjoyed my day, but should have combined it with Austria instead as the whole town has a more Austrian rural feel than the cosmopolitan Munich we had just left. The only thing I regret is that I didn't have more time to visit the museums which looked like they deserved a visit. The six-year-old wasn't into exhibitions on border relations etc...
My main reason for coming was however the setting by the water and here, I was only let down by the weather. The rivers themselves are marvellous - here you find the confluence of no less than three of them. My beloved Danube which I follow here and there, the Inn and the little Ilz (look to the right in this picture). After Passau, the now single river is of course called the Danube, although why is not clear, as the Inn brings more water to Passau and is also the longest of the two that far. In summer, you can see a very interesting difference in colour of the rivers where they meet, the Inn bringing brown mud into the Danube.
Another interesting thing which is at times also frustrating, is that Passau like many other cities suffered badly in a fire (17th century). This means that the medieval street pattern can be seen, but with later style of housing built as the town was restored. Sometimes I wished I could have seen the narrow lanes and alleys full of cosy cottages instead of all the splendour which gave the town a bit too much elegance for me. But it gives an interesting effect of new(ish) meets old.
- Pros:pretty, rivers everywhere
- Cons:felt touristy and a bit too elegant, quiet
- In a nutshell:Enjoy the rivers!
Getting to Passau is easy by train. From Munich it takes two hours as the train makes the detour over the Landshut area,... more travel advice
High up on the Inn side of town lies this pretty Baroque church. The amazing thing about it is its long, covered... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Passau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Passau - where 3 rivers join"
- "An Blauer Donau,grünem Inn und schwarzer Ilz!"
- "Three rivers junction"
- "Passau during floods..."
- "Passau - A Perfect Long Weekend Getaway"
- "Passau - a town with 3 rivers"
- "Passau, Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Passau
- Hotels in Passau
- Transportation in Passau
- Nightlife in Passau
- Restaurants in Passau
- Shopping in Passau
- Warnings and Dangers in Passau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Passau
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Passau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Passau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Passau hotel reviews
- Achat Hotel Passau
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hotel Konig
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- Hotel Wilder Mann
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2012
- Wienerwald Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 24, 2012
- Hotel Am Jesuitenschloessl
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2012
- Hotel Residenz Passau
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- IBB Hotel Passau
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Rotel Inn
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 31, 2012
- Hotel Schloss Ort
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2012