"Where time stands still" Quedlinburg by Sjalen
Quedlinburg Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 113 photos
Quedlinburg was totally unknown to me during childhood, despite spending many summers in nearby Wolfsburg. But Wolfsburg was in the west and Quedlinburg in the east of Germany. During the German reunification, hidden gems became clear to us and Quedlinburg was on top of that declared a World Heritage by UNESCO. No wonder it was a "must go" destination for me for several years until I finally got here in 2005.
I have been to many World Heritage sites in Europe, but never to one where time seems to stand still the way it does in Quedlinburg. Admittedly, we went here in November, off season, but you would still expect tourists to come to such a famous place all year round. It is not too far from Berlin and so, a popular daytrip. Despite this, the town was almost deserted, and I think that whilst it is a lot more crowded in summer, it is truly a hidden gem. Go before it is exploited!!!
In GDR days, Quedlinburg was not as tourist promoted as nearby Wernigerode, but the government still realised its potential and tried not to ruin too much. That doesn't mean there was money to put into it - see my local custom comment on that. Today, this means hundreds and hundreds of half timbered houses and the Quedlinburg is a town where you can be content with just strolling around admiring it all rather than chase famous sights and queue up for museums.
The old part of town is centered around and below one of the small foothills of the Harz mountains, the Schlossberg, and whilst Wernigerode is closer to the high Mount Brocken, Quedlinburg still has a pretty setting with plenty of opportunities to go hiking and the hills give the town a nice panorama. Opposite Schlossberg is for instance also Müntzenberg, the hill where the poor and odd in society lived in medieval days.
Where the unusual name comes from? It is thought that it is from a nobleman called Quitilo. The full town name of Quitilingaberg is first recorded in 922. Miraculously escaping major damage in WWII (the cathedral on its hill got its flat towers when repaired after WWII damage), it is a town which feels wonderfully unspoilt and natural and where only 25000 people have 1200 half-timbered houses to feel proud of.
- Pros:great architecture, unspoilt
- In a nutshell:Europe's most underrated World Heritage?
The cosy and unique 17th century Speicher Building is the setting for this museum where you can see painted glass but... more travel advice
The pretty Ständer building from the 14th century was raged by fire in 1997. Luckily, it has been restored to its former... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Quedlinburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where time stands still"
- "Quedlinburg -UNESCO World Heritage Site Since 1994"
- "Beautiful Quedlinburg"
- "Unesco world heritage"
- "My Quedlinburg"
- "LOVELY, QUAINT QUEDLINBURG - CRADLE of GERMANY!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quedlinburg
- Hotels in Quedlinburg
- Transportation in Quedlinburg
- Restaurants in Quedlinburg
- Shopping in Quedlinburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Quedlinburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quedlinburg
- 17 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Quedlinburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quedlinburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues