Sweden Nightlife Tips by Sjalen Top 5 Page for this destination
Sweden Nightlife: 36 reviews and 34 photos
Patricia - a Stockholm gay favourite
Questions on gay venues in Sweden are quite common on VT so despite not being gay myself, here is an attempt at a tip. The main cities obviously have most things going on, but even smaller towns might surprise you. Have a look at the link below for the dates of your visit.
Sweden undergoes a transformation summertime when people get into full party swing after the long winter. Little pretty coastal towns are often the scenes for all the fun:
Pretty Båstad is a town in the south west, known for its Swedish Open tennis in July. This means nightlife here is full of Stockholmers and prices are therefore higher than many other places.
The Gem of the Baltic is Visby on the island of Gotland, where Snäck and other "institutions" keep you busy through the night. Again, the whole of Gotland is more expensive than average in summer due to Stockholm holiday makers but great fun.
The island of Öland with its nightlife capital Borgholm is another definate party hub in the south.
Halmstad is another summer favourite on the southern west coast. It has a long, sandy beach where a lot goes on, and Roxette front figure Per Gessle having his own hotel there doesn't make it any more quiet.
Smögen, further north on the west coast, reachable from Gothenburg, is a quiet village in winter but explodes with holiday makers in summer. Whether you've got your own boat or not, this is the party place amongst the rocky cliffs of Bohuslän.
A bit more quiet than the above but a great summer town, Västervik on the east coast is a place with more restaurants than most Swedish towns during high season. Famous for its Song Festival in July, it also has other events to keep you busy when you're not sunbathing.
Way up north, Piteå is where people gather. The Gulf of Bothnia is warm here and the long, sandy beach with many sun hours draws not just hoardes of Norwegian campers but also people who just want to have fun and party.
These are the most famous summer towns, but I could also mention towns like Varberg, Karlskrona and Luleå as places living up considerably in summer. I also have to mention the west coast yachting hub of Marstrand and the east coast equivalent Sandhamn outside Stockholm.
Theme: Live Music
Stockholm, Göteborg (Gothenburg) and Malmö all have great nightlife all year round and cater for all tastes as do most cities of decent size or with a university (Lund, Uppsala, Umeå, Sundsvall...). See my respective pages for more detailed info.
More Reviews (102)
- See All Snowmobiling
- See All Jokkmokk
- See All Torup Castle
- See All Husmanskost
- See All Sami handicraft
- See All Snuff tobacco and spitting
Sjalen's Related Pages
Sweden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Sweden!"
- "It's in my blood"
- "Sverige - beautiful all year round :-)))"
- "Sweden - Sverige"
- "Make the right turns when you're here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sweden
- Hotels in Sweden
- Transportation in Sweden
- Nightlife in Sweden
- Restaurants in Sweden
- Shopping in Sweden
- Warnings and Dangers in Sweden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sweden
- 1,620 Reviews
- 2,385 Photos
- 2,356 Forum posts
- 111 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Sweden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sweden
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues