"Ieper, unfortunately known as Ypres" Ieper by Sjalen
Ieper Travel Guide: 517 reviews and 1,518 photos
If you have more time in Belgium than for Brugge and Brussels, then this is the place to go. Ieper is forever known to the world through the horrors here during the First World War but this also means that there are great things to learn here about both the human mind and stupidity and about European modern history. You don't have to be from an allied country to visit as every nationality comes here to remember but of course Brits and Canadians are the ones with deepest memories. What if you're not interested in wars? It's still your duty to come here and understand why European co-operation means so much to so many. You can always spend time on amusement parks, seaside trips or the nice Ieper pubs when you've had enough! Ieper has also been reconstructed much as it was and gives plenty of nice Flemish architecture. The picture here is of names of missing soldiers at Menin Gate.
- Pros:educating!, beautiful city centre
- Cons:unpleasant memories, a bit more expensive food than the rest of Belgium
- In a nutshell:A place every European should visit
Belgian beer - 170 different ones...This must be one of the best real Belgian pubs in town. The interior looks more... more travel advice
Ieper's restaurants was nothing to write home about despite being impressed with nearby Brugge and other great Belgian... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Ieper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ieper (Ypres) touches all senses in extremes"
- "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- "A Living Memorial...and MORE!!"
- "Ieper - West of Flanders"
- "Ieper (Ypres)"
- "Wild West Vlaanderen Meeting April 21, 2007 Pt. 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ieper
- Hotels in Ieper
- Transportation in Ieper
- Nightlife in Ieper
- Restaurants in Ieper
- Shopping in Ieper
- Warnings and Dangers in Ieper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ieper
- 9 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Ieper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ieper
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues