"Elsene" Ixelles by Sjalen
Ixelles Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 49 photos
Ixelles, or Elsene in Flemish which VT ignores, is a city centre municipality of its own in the middle of what most people consider Brussels. Most visitors to Brussels end up here too sooner or later, as this is where you find the famous Avenue Louise with its shopping and expensive hotels, as well as some of the most green parts of the city with Bois de la Cambre seen as the lung of Brussels. Further out, Ixelles also hosts parts of Brussels University so there is a chance you might have visited a student pub or two in the area. It is a very diverse "commune" with the fancy Louise area bordering the Porte de Namur quarters known as Matonge for their large Congolese population. Due to a lively restaurant life, nice apartments and the green areas there are also lots of expats living here.
This page will be under construction until I return to Brussels and can go on a photo spree of Ixelles :))) I just wanted to set up a page to describe what is in fact very much its own nice part of a city.
- Pros:central, lots of shopping and restaurants, green
- Cons:certain no-go areas after dark, city centre pollution
- In a nutshell:A must see part of Brussels
My absolute favourite Irish pub in the Brussels area is in fact The Bank in Ixelles. Housed in an old bank with the... more travel advice
Don't worry. There are vegetarian places in Brussels too, albeit not many. You can mail me for more tips but Dolma is... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Ixelles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Urban cows III - Under construction"
- "A multicultural commune within Brussels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ixelles
- Hotels in Ixelles
- Nightlife in Ixelles
- Restaurants in Ixelles
- Shopping in Ixelles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ixelles
- 5 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Ixelles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ixelles
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues