"Flemish link to England" Mechelen by Sjalen
Mechelen Travel Guide: 285 reviews and 676 photos
Mechelen is so close to Brussels, yet it took some time before we actually visited its centre and not just the great Plankendael Animal Park. I would lie if I said that it is the most exciting town I have ever visited. It was a bit boring (although we liked the canal area) and moreover, it had a narrow-mindedness about it with people staring at us strangers wherever we went. Having said that, everyone was friendly so don't worry! I know from having met Caroline too (VT's B Caro) :-)
The main reason for us visiting was in fact the links this place has to Yorkshire. Mechelen used to be the capital for Margaret, Duchess of Burgundy by marriage and Duchess of York by birth. Not that she herself was a Yorkshirewoman but Flanders in them days had strong links with Yorkshire through using its wool for the beautiful cloths vowen. Still today there are of course links with the ferry to Hull :-)))
Margaret was also the sister of Richard III (who DID grow up in Yorkshire) and it is likely that he visited her here, if nothing else when he was fleeing to Utrecht to escape England during the War of the Roses. This picture just illustrates that the Duchess of York is not forgotten here, although it is not known what she would have made of Maes pils...
A main wing of Margaret's palace seems to be the city theatre today and much was rebuilt by Margaret of Austria (aunt of Emperor Charles V who grew up here with her) who followed the idea of moving to Mechelen in the 16th century but still looks a nice sight. The town planners have however unfortunately decided to allow the town hall square to be used as a car park which is why Mechelen is not the first place I would see in Belgium by any means but if you enjoy shopping it is nice and if you have children or love animals, nothing beats Plankendael. It is also nice to stroll around the canal area I mentioned earlier and it has some good bars with Belgian beer, not least the local Gouden Carolus, named after Charles V.
- Pros:Plankendael, some good shopping bargains
- Cons:not much to do in the centre
- In a nutshell:Definately have to give it a second chance...
Mechelen is between Brussels and Antwerp which means that all trains between the two (and they are many) stop here as do... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Mechelen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mechelen, where an emperor was raised"
- "Where two Margarets once ruled"
- "Did you missed it? what happened?"
- "Mechelen - Religious capital of Belgium"
- "Mechelen, city of the moon extinguishers"
- "VT meeting - Part I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mechelen
- Hotels in Mechelen
- Transportation in Mechelen
- Nightlife in Mechelen
- Restaurants in Mechelen
- Shopping in Mechelen
- Warnings and Dangers in Mechelen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mechelen
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Mechelen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mechelen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues