"Smalltown Wiltshire" Amesbury by Sjalen
Amesbury Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 13 photos
Amesbury is a small town just outside Salisbury - in fact the town closest to Stonehenge but not many people know where it is. We spent some time here in between buses when exploring Wiltshire, as was a bit of a transport hub for when you want to see both Stonehenge and Avebury the same day (nowadays you have to change back at Salisbury instead). Just outside Amesbury is the great Salisbury Plain with all its many army bases which are like little towns in themselves. Not the prettiest sights, but you only really come across them if you side track with public transport. Otherwise, you will just be fascinated by the many crossings for tanks everywhere along the major road to Marlborough. Small and sleepy, the town itself still has an attractive side to it in the form of nice cottages and a lively centre where people meet in the cafes or whilst shopping at Coop.
- Pros:Lovely riverside area, great cafes
- Cons:A certain small-town mentality, army presence
- In a nutshell:A Stonehenge base
This 4500 year old (or so) monument which people are constantly stunned by is of course the biggest sight in Amesbury.... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Amesbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Smalltown Wiltshire"
- "Amesbury - A World Heritage Site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amesbury
- Hotels in Amesbury
- Transportation in Amesbury
- Restaurants in Amesbury
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Amesbury
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Amesbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amesbury
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues