"Neverending Sto...nes" Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury by Sjalen
Avebury Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 244 photos
Avebury was a village I had never heard about until I came across KennetRose's page here on VT and realised that this was the World's most overlooked World Heritage! Everyone goes to Stonehenge (and why not) but few realise that less than an hour north is an equally amazing place with a countryside full of other impressive sites. Yes, the stones at Stonehenge are higher and yes, it is a monument built in a way that you can easily overview, and I think this might be why that is so famous and this place is not. But Avebury is in fact a village surrounded by a giant stone circle and a mound (the biggest man made mound in Europe). You really need to be in a plane to appreciate the full size and look of it. On top of that, you can walk amongst the stones and even sit in them should you like and there are great walking possibilities. You pay nothing for this pleasure either and I can only marvel that so few people find their way to this treasure.
Not only are the stones fascinating, but Avebury itself is quite a pretty village with its old church and manor house.
- Pros:magical, lots to see and wonder about
- Cons:traffic through the village
- In a nutshell:Truly a wonder
As with many English villages, traffic is the most disturbing thing, and here at Avebury it can be downright dangerous... more travel advice
Juet behind the Alexander Keiller Museum is the manor itself. As most people look at the stones and then possibly the... more travel advice
Written Apr 17, 2007
Avebury stone circle
Written Apr 18, 2007
Avebury stone circle II
Sjalen's Related Pages
Avebury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neverending Sto...nes"
- "Standing Stones of Avebury"
- "Avebury and surrounding area"
- "AVEBURY - THE MAJOR GOES MYSTICAL!"
- "Low Key Pre-History"
- "Avebury - A landscape of ancient magic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avebury
- Hotels in Avebury
- Transportation in Avebury
- Restaurants in Avebury
- Shopping in Avebury
- Warnings and Dangers in Avebury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avebury
- 15 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Avebury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avebury
Photos in AveburySee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues