"More than Robert Burns" Top 5 Page for this destination Ayr by Sjalen

Ayr Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 258 photos

When people go on holiday to Scotland they go to Edinburgh, Inverness, Iona and Skye and why not - all great places, but it surprises me that Ayrshire isn't "discovered" at all apart from amongst Robert Burns fans since this is where he was born. I myself had not really heard of this part of Scotland until I had a few spare days before going to Edinburgh once. As my plane from Sweden landed in Glasgow and that looked too grey for my friend and me, we quickly decided that something else was needed and found the guidebook which mentioned "Burn's birth place and a nice coastline" or something along those lines. We decided to give it a try and I am so glad we did. I hope to come back here too as I now have a friend in nearby Troon to visit.

• Pros:long beach, scenic
  • Cons:not on the way to your main attractions
  • In a nutshell:Relaxing but fun
  • Last visit to Ayr: Dec 1988
  • Intro Written Aug 17, 2003

• leecouk12324's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2007 at 2:27 PM

If here Isle of Arran is well worth a visit with ferries from Ardossan - Isle of Arran is desribed as Scotland in miniature with highlands in the North and lowlands in the South - great camp site near Brodick

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2005 at 12:10 AM

I wish, I spent more time in that part of Scotland. Fatman's Speakeasy sounds like a really great nightlife-tip !

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2004 at 1:20 PM

I'm not a Burns fan but would like to visit this place nevertheless.

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2004 at 1:50 AM

a well done page. Thank s for the tips.

• hevbell's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2003 at 2:14 AM

Nice to see someone else made an Ayr page! :) Rabbie's is still there and popular as ever but the youth hostel is shut. And the hotel in Alloway is now called the Brig O'Doon [used to be Burns Monument] Nice tips :)

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Ayr