"Wensleydale waterfalls" Aysgarth by Sjalen

Aysgarth Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 90 photos

Aysgarth was a village I had wanted to visit ever since I passed by on a bus a decade earlier. When I finally got the chance, the village had quietened down from what I remembered but its sights did not disappoint. I just wish the buses were more frequent :) Then again I am glad I came by bus and not by car as then I would have driven to the National Park centre and completely missed the smell of cows and the grand photo opportunities that comes with this area. No matter in what direction you look, it is scenic in this "clearing amongst the oaks" which is what the Old Norse place name means (would equal Eksgärde in Swedish today).

Mostly famous for its three waterfalls down the river Ure, where even Kevin Costner came to shoot fighting scenes for Robin Hood, Aysgarth is certainly worth a stop even if it is less good as a holiday base since it lacks shops - unless you eat out all the time of course.

• Pros:scenic
  • Cons:no village shop, few buses
  • In a nutshell:Quiet apart from the water
  • Last visit to Aysgarth: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 28, 2006

• Sep 25, 2006 at 7:42 AM

If travelling by car do not be fooled by the car park at the pub just off the main road. Go down the hill and over the bridge and up to the National Parks Car Park.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 3:20 AM

Great!! Seems like you enjoyed the Dales.

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Aysgarth

Have you been to Aysgarth?

Latest Activity in Aysgarth