"Hardy's Town" Dorchester by Sjalen
Dorchester Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 128 photos
We picked Dorchester for our base when wanting to see the Jurassic Coast, since it was March and we didn't want to sit in a small village if the weather became unbearable, and since Dorchester has good public transport around the region. We expected it to be a fairly quiet and provincial town still, and that is just what it was but on top of that it had plenty of things to keep us busy on the days we stayed local. My husband liked Dorchester so much he said he could happily live here - friendly pubs, lots of history and some good shopping, including food, is all he needs and Dorchester has just that. Coupled with the fascinating jurassic environment it makes a great base for just about anyone apart from the real party animal. If you are a fan of Thomas Hardy (which I am not), Dorchester will be exciting to you since he lived both in- and outside town and Casterbridge in his books is modelled on Dorchester.
- Pros:Interesting museums, peaceful feeling
- Cons:Not really, if you don't mind that it is small-ish
- In a nutshell:Hardy, Ichtyosaurus, Jeffrey...
At the top of the High Street there are two Indian restaurants opposite each other. We looked at the one on "our side"... more travel advice
If you still have an appetite for those Romans, why not go for a town walk along the old town boundaries to see just how... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Dorchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mai Dun, Durnovaria and Dorchester..."
- "Hardy's Town"
- "Dorchester ~ Thomas Hardy land"
- "Maiden Castle and so much more (or so I hear)!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dorchester
- Hotels in Dorchester
- Transportation in Dorchester
- Restaurants in Dorchester
- Shopping in Dorchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Dorchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dorchester
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Dorchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dorchester
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Dorchester hotel reviews
- George Albert Hotel
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Best Western Kings Arms Hotel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- The Sydney Arms
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- The Bakehouse
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Yalbury Cottage
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Frog Hall
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2012