"Literary Cornwall" Fowey by Sjalen
Fowey Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 111 photos
Fowey, pronounced "Foy", is a bit of a hub on the south coast thanks to its literary connections and marvellous setting where the river Fowey meets the sea. It is a great base for touring around the area and should definitely not be missed if you have any interest whatsoever in writing. Cornish born Arthur Quiller-Couch settled here, and so too did authors like Kenneth Grahame and Daphne du Maurier, and there are traces of them everywhere.
Having just seen Polperro the day before, we were not that impressed with the look of Fowey, which is more sprawling and not as "embraced" by the river as Looe and Polperro. Still, it is a very scenic place, and especially if you, like we did, arrive with the passenger ferry from Polruan and can appreciate all the water. We had a look at Fowey's very nice town centre, but the frequent showers meant that we never went for a stroll to the "blockhouse" or the lagoon further out, so what I write here is not entirely fair on Fowey since the coastline really is marvellous (you can see it on my Polruan page where I captured the coast on the Fowey side in my photos).
One can tell that Fowey is a place popular with intellectuals, since there are quite a few famous upmarket restaurants, and some interesting-looking and innovative cafés. This makes it a rather pricey place by Cornish standards but you can stick to the excellent pubs too for sustenance.
The town is a place which did not impress me that much when I first came, but which grew on me and where I think there is a lot that I will have to go back to see in the area. River trips here are for instance not your average river trips but rather more of Wind in the Willow trips...
- Pros:literary hub, nice coastline
- Cons:no great beach
- In a nutshell:Daphne, Kenneth and all...
Sjalen's Related Pages
Fowey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fowey - Cornwalls hidden jewel"
- "Fowey - Fowydh"
- "Peaceful Fowey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fowey
- Hotels in Fowey
- Transportation in Fowey
- Nightlife in Fowey
- Restaurants in Fowey
- Warnings and Dangers in Fowey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fowey
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (211)
Have you been to Fowey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fowey
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues