"Harbour gateway" Harwich by Sjalen
Harwich Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 140 photos
OK, this is another of those tiny pages but I feel I want to say something about places I have on VT and here I even spent a night once, not to mention all the times I've arrived or departed on the ferries between Sweden (sadly discontinued), Denmark and England.
The reason I spent a night here once was that when kitan and I moved from York to Gothenburg, we had so much luggage that the ferry was the cheapest option yet again. However, there were no trains departing early enough from York to take us to Harwich in time before the ferry left, which is why we had to go the night before. What an experience! We still talk about this Essex backwater in the sort of fond way you do about somewhere with a cafe called Muppets, and miss-spellings of goods everywhere in shop windows...we stayed in a B&B where the owner "knew" more about Sweden than I do and then went for a meal in one of the most expensive Chinese restaurants we've ever come across in the UK! Oh, well...the pub in the hotel on the cliff overlooking the North Sea served a decent pint of Yorkshire bitter :)
- Pros:seaside, easy to reach by ferry
- Cons:small yet expensive
- In a nutshell:Bizarre backwater feeling
Trains to and from Harwich means either Harwich Town, Dovercourt or the ferry terminal called Harwich International.... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Harwich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Port and Historic Town of Harwich"
- "Loads of History and Loads of Pubs!"
- "Harwich - The Most Easterly Point in Essex"
- "Harwich - like a trip to eastern Europe?"
- "Harbour gateway"
- "Cruise Ship Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Harwich
- Hotels in Harwich
- Transportation in Harwich
- Restaurants in Harwich
- Shopping in Harwich
- Warnings and Dangers in Harwich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harwich
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Harwich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harwich
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues