"Harbour gateway" Harwich by Sjalen

Harwich Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 145 photos

OK, this is another of those tiny pages but I feel I want to say something about places I have on VT and here I even spent a night once, not to mention all the times I've arrived or departed on the ferries between Sweden (sadly discontinued), Denmark and England.

The reason I spent a night here once was that when kitan and I moved from York to Gothenburg, we had so much luggage that the ferry was the cheapest option yet again. However, there were no trains departing early enough from York to take us to Harwich in time before the ferry left, which is why we had to go the night before. What an experience! We still talk about this Essex backwater in the sort of fond way you do about somewhere with a cafe called Muppets, and miss-spellings of goods everywhere in shop windows...we stayed in a B&B where the owner "knew" more about Sweden than I do and then went for a meal in one of the most expensive Chinese restaurants we've ever come across in the UK! Oh, well...the pub in the hotel on the cliff overlooking the North Sea served a decent pint of Yorkshire bitter :)

• Pros:seaside, easy to reach by ferry
  • Cons:small yet expensive
  • In a nutshell:Bizarre backwater feeling
  • Last visit to Harwich: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2010

• Apr 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I remember in 1951-52 traveling from Harrich to the Hook of Holland British Army. What was she called SS Parkston ???

Sjalen Visits Here Frequently!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Harwich

Have you been to Harwich?

Latest Activity in Harwich