"Capital of Wensleydale" Hawes by Sjalen
Hawes Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 46 photos
One of my favourite Yorkshire Dales is Wensleydale. Strange, since it really isn't the most beautiful or dramatic, but it is broad and this gives it vistas I like. It also has lots to see such as Aysgarth falls and Castle Bolton and it feels distinctly Yorkshire. Almost at the western end of the dale is Hawes which serves as a "capital" if you like. Its peculiar name means "Pass between mountains". Little more than a big village in itself, the town developed due to being a coaching hub and was given a market charter in 1700 (market is on Tuesdays). It then grew more than the surrounding villages because of the arrival of the railway through Wensleydale which is now closed for scheduled traffic, as well as the Settle to Carlisle railway stopping in nearby Garsdale. Hawes is still bustling with activity since the Pennine Way passes through it and there are always walkers around in spring and summer. Apart from that, it is an old farming area and so, is famous more than anything for being the home of Wensleydale Cheese, as eaten by Wallace & Gromit :-) Maybe it's the mix of Yorkshire farming and international fell walkers. Whatever it is - I love Hawes and feel sooo at home here. Or as James Alderson says in his book Under Wetherfell - the story of Hawes parish and its people: "Hawes is an ordinary parish where ordinary people have got on with their work of farming, building, trade and craft, and what has been achieved is all around us to see today."
- Pros:active for its size, scenic
- Cons:bad public transport, packed with cars
- In a nutshell:Wonderful Wensleydale...
I cannot tell you that much about the church in Hawes other than that it has a nice Millennium window which celebrates... more travel advice
For many years, Wensleydale's 19th century railway line to Hawes from Northallerton and Leyburn has been closed but... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Hawes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of Wensleydale"
- "Going to the ... Hawes"
- "Hawes - Pleasant Dales town"
- "A fledgling Hawes page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hawes
- Transportation in Hawes
- Restaurants in Hawes
- Shopping in Hawes
- Warnings and Dangers in Hawes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hawes
- 15 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Hawes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawes
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues