"Salisbury mark one" Old Sarum by Sjalen
Old Sarum Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 37 photos
Old Sarum really is on the outskirts of Salisbury, but it merits its own page since it was actually the site for the first settlement here and had it not been abandoned later on, THIS is what we would have called Salisbury. Today, there is little left of what was once a whole town with a towering fortress in its middle. It must have been quite a normal settlement and yet it feels really odd to imagine it today, when you walk around with countryside around you on all sides but the city one. Old Sarum is a place where everyone has been, From Neolithic settlements around the Stonehenge era to the Romans and then later a handful of Plantagenets. Then the cathedral moved to its present site and Old Sarum was gradually abandoned as people settled around the new market town with its clergy.
- Cons:incredibly windy in most weather
- In a nutshell:Fascinating to see this so close to a new settlement
Walking along the chalky paths of the ramparts, as well as on the hill outside, you get great views back towards... more travel advice
Buses from Salisbury city centre are fairly frequent throughout the day and stop just below the hill so you will have to... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Old Sarum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salisbury mark one"
- "Old Sarum"
- "Old Sarum - Old Salisbury"
- "Almost passed on this..."
- "Norman England"
- "Old (very old) Sarum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Old Sarum
- Transportation in Old Sarum
- Warnings and Dangers in Old Sarum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Old Sarum
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Old Sarum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Old Sarum
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues