"Wilderness close to urban sprawls" Peak District National Park by Sjalen
Peak District National Park Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 222 photos
The name of this national park and area says it all: the Peak District. The southern end of the Pennine hills that run like a backbone through the north of England, this is an area which look a lot like the more northern Yorkshire landscape but with some major exceptions, one being the existance of beech forests here which give a great softness to the craggy peaklands.
I have only been to a daytrip around the park, and therefore this page is one of my smallest. Nevertheless, I wanted to say something about it as it is quite overlooked by foreign tourists. It is much more popular amongst people from the cities that surround it, such as Stoke, Stafford, Derby, Sheffield, Manchester and so on. Despite this, you can always find your own corner, especially if you go trekking on the high fells or visit the more unknown villages. In fact, do not underestimate the wilderness here. Manchester may be close but here you need to follow the weather reports if you go walking on your own. The hills are higher than they seem and have their own micro climate.
The picture here shows Castleton, which you can read a tiny bit more about on its page, but if you want a really good base in the area, head for pretty Bakewell with more services and a nice little stream running through it. I only passed by and am set on returning one day to explore it! I would also love to see more of the park itself, preferrably in May when fluffy lambs dot the fields everywhere.
- Pros:very scenic, nice villages
- Cons:bad public transport
- In a nutshell:The England you imagine
Sjalen's Related Pages
Peak District National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Peak District page"
- "Britain's first National Park"
- "The Peak District"
- "Green hills, great halls, grey bold peaks"
- "A peek at the Peaks"
- "jayhawk2000's Edale and the Peak District"
- "Only a brief dalliance............................"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peak District National Park
- Hotels in Peak District National Park
- Transportation in Peak District National Park
- Nightlife in Peak District National Park
- Restaurants in Peak District National Park
- Shopping in Peak District National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Peak District National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Peak District National Park
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Peak District National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peak District National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues