"Porth Ia" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives by Sjalen
Saint Ives Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 302 photos
We came here for the first time summer 2009, as we had seen and heard that it was scenic and I had wanted to go to Cornwall for years and years. I guess it was the distance that made me wait so long (it's not an easy daytrip from say London or Bristol), coupled with the fact that I tend to spend summers in Sweden and go abroad at other times, and Cornwall always struck me as a place that should be visited in summer for the first time. Now I have done so, I don't mind visiting any time of year (New Year is great), and St Ives itself is definately a place for all seasons even if it goes quieter in winter. People still come to this old pilchard fishing town with its peculiarly sheltered but still tricky harbour all year round.
The light is amazing due to it being on the northern coast but facing south in a curve, and it keeps changing depending on time of day and on the weather. No wonder that this is one of Britain's big art centres. Having said that, there is a lot of surfing going on too and this is what makes this place so amazing - the diversity of it all with intellectual artists and lively surfers mixing, and at the same time it is very much a working town with proud Cornish locals with all their Celtic and mining heritages in the blood, even if they today are forced into the tourist trade instead of fishing. Go here and find out for yourself - I know you will want to return. Just try to avoid the school holidays if you can since then prices are high and there is a lack of space everywhere. If not, go anyway!
Yes I am known for coming back from holiday destinations really enthusiastic, telling my colleagues that I could settle in this or that place for quite some time. This time though, it is really serious even if I am well aware of the fact that I was hardly the only tourist stopping to browse the estate agent's window as I walked up Treganna Hill one final time to go back home in 2009. It's one of few places that have affected me so much I'm crying when I leave, and it is not a matter of if, but when I shall call it my home in one way or another. St Ives is nothing but fantastic and it is not surprising that the little town of 11 000 people won the title of "Best seaside town" in The Guardian newspaper in 2007 and one of its beaches ended up top on Trip Advisor 2010. I have been a restless soul all my life due to various things, and always envied people who were not constantly longing for some other place. With St Ives, I have found a place where locals I have met only once greet me in the street as if I am a long time friend when we meet again. I have found a constantly changing seascape with ten different types of wheather in one day and which surprises me even though I have a long experience of other British weather systems. I have found a place loved not only by me but equally much by the rest of the family, and not least; I have found inner peace. I could sit and watch the harbour for hours.
- Pros:scenic, great beaches for everyone, friendly, great food
- Cons:a bit expensive, crazy rush for accommodation summertime, harbour traffic
- In a nutshell:A feeling of home whoever you are!
Dolphins appear in St Ives summertime and into early autumn when the water is warm enough. The first time we were here... more travel advice
You can drive to St Ives if you want to have a holiday here and intend to use it for driving around the wonderful... more travel advice
- See All The local look
- See All Ice cream heaven
- See All See Cornwall
- See All Wallis' Cottage
Sjalen's Related Pages
Saint Ives Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porth Ia"
- "St Ives, Cornwall"
- "Wonderful scenery and great food!"
- "BEAUTIFUL St. IVES"
- "St. Ives in the Cornish Riviera"
- "Birthday Weekend"
- "This View Will Always Put A Smile On My Face :-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Ives
- Hotels in Saint Ives
- Transportation in Saint Ives
- Nightlife in Saint Ives
- Restaurants in Saint Ives
- Shopping in Saint Ives
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Ives
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Ives
- 46 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Saint Ives?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Ives
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues