"More than a fair" Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough by Sjalen
Scarborough Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 409 photos
Scarborough is probably the most well-known Yorkshire seaside resort outside Yorkshire. Much because of the old folk song "Scarborough Fair", later immortalised by Simon & Garfunkel. Personally, I would spend a "one day only" trip to the Yorkshire coast on Whitby instead, but if you have more than one day then definately come here! This place is everything you expect of an English seaside resort; donkey rides, candy floss, tacky souvenirs, amusement arcades and excellent fish & chips.
I went here some times when I lived in York and pined for the sea. For that reason, I went back with the family recently so that we could reminiscence and show our daughter a place her parents went to when they had just met :) We even ended up staying three nights as Whitby where we wanted to stay was full because of its annual regatta. This made us realise a bit more about Scarborough. My husband (VT member kitan) has spent a lot of holiday time here as a child and was pleased to see that his old fish and chip shop was alive and well, but he also realised that a ten-year-old has more fun here than an adult. The town is sort of stuck in a 1970s timewarp which is nice if you like to live in the past, but less nice for all the bed and breakfast owners who no longer gets any guests as Scarborough has tons more hotels than it needs these days. It used to be a great seaside resort from the discovery of its spa qualities in the 18th century and up to the 1970s, but today the British working class can afford holidays abroad and Scarborough is left with only a trickle of its old custom. Often those too poor still to go abroad, or those who just dislikes foreign travel. Having said all this, Scarborough has some wonderful historical sights to be explored (more about those below) and I do hope what I wrote above will not scare you away. Go here to see a very genuine part of England and enjoy the great sea views.
Scarborough has two parts to it - the Southside and the North Bay and both have long sandy beaches. The Southside is where you go for the harbour and the amusements.
The North Bay has the green Peasholme parklands and lots of bed and breakfasts as well as waterparks. In between, the impressive hill with its castle ruins overlook both. Another intersting thing with Scarborough is that is has a great Italian population which may seem a bit odd here on the Yorkshire coast but which has coloured the town in the sense that people seem to eat later here than is normal and don't bat an eyelid if families with children are out for an evening meal quite late.
- Pros:seaside activities
- Cons:a bit worn
- In a nutshell:I do like to be beside the sea!
When there are strong winds, as often in Scarborough, surfers are in heaven. You can just about make out their heads in... more travel advice
Scarborough once had a great Italian immigration and this shows in the Italian restaurants here which are better than... more travel advice
Written Aug 20, 2006
Scarborough in more pictures
Written Aug 20, 2006
Scarborough with children
Sjalen's Related Pages
Scarborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The finest town on the Yorkshire coast"
- "Everything Changes & Nothing Changes"
- "Sun, Sea, Sand, at Scarborough"
- "My home town!"
- "More than a fair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scarborough
- Hotels in Scarborough
- Transportation in Scarborough
- Nightlife in Scarborough
- Restaurants in Scarborough
- Shopping in Scarborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Scarborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scarborough
- 19 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Scarborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scarborough
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues