"Dales railway junction" Settle by Sjalen
Settle Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 16 photos
Settle is the major town in the south-western part of the Yorkshire Dales. This is not to say that it is a big place, it is just that everywhere around it there are smaller villages and Settle was the one which grew due to being given a market charter in 1249 (and Tuesday is still market day). Today, you can still see the remains of the old butchers' row in the form of the Shambles archways in the market place (see picture above).
At the southern end of Ribblesdale, it is a good base for exploring villages like Horton-in-Ribblesdale (where you can also base yourself) and the famous geological and natural phenomena of the western Dales, like Pen-y-Ghent. Settle itself also has a hill, the ever present Castleberg. I visited in winter, when the weather was really dull as you can see in the pictures, but this just convinced me that I have to come again. Next time hopefully to try out the most famous sight - the Settle to Carlisle Railway. Read more about it under transport. Until my next visit, have a look at this page to see sunny pictures and lots of things to do that I never had time to on my flash visit from York: http://www.yorkshire-dales.com/settle.html
- Pros:scenic, railway history
- Cons:misty winters
- In a nutshell:Railway romance and desolate fells
This wonderful house was built by a wealthy local in 1679 and today it is simply known as the Folly. more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Settle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dales railway junction"
- "Settle, England"
- "A great little town"
- "Settle ing down !"
- "Passing By!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Settle
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (202)
Have you been to Settle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Settle
Photos in SettleSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues