"Home of Herriot" Thirsk by Sjalen
Thirsk Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 61 photos
Say the name Alf Wright and most people won't have the first idea whom you're talking about. Change to his pen name James Herriot, and it's a totally different kettle of fish as people's eyes lit up in recognation of Britain's top vet. Herriot might have been from Glasgow, but ended up doing his first vets practice here and got so captivated by the Yorkshire landscape and character that he stayed all his life.
Whilst not at all as scenic as Wensleydale where most scenes in TV series "All Creatures Great and Small" were shot, Thirsk is a great place to spend a day. For a start, you have a lot of the town to yourself as most tourists are busy discovering the Dales and Moors around the town and not very interested in the Vale of York unless they are real Herriot devotees or have come to see the Hambleton Hills which rise behind town. This means you have much of the town to yourself - I had a great afternoon watching men watching horse racing in a local pub. Secondly, those Hambleton Hills make for quite some scenic views if you dare drive up them to for instance the famous Sutton Bank.
"Thisk - what an unusual name", I hear you say. The name comes from an old Scandinavian word for wilderness lake ("träsk" in Swedish today for instance) as this is old viking country. Apparently the region must have had more wetlands then compared to now - if you except the huge, annual floods in the Vale...
- Pros:fewer tourists than in the Dales
- Cons:bad public transport
- In a nutshell:A Herriot pilgrimage
Thirsk is by far easiest to reach with your own car but if you don't have one, catch a regional train to Thirsk train... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Thirsk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thirsk..James Herriot country."
- "Home of Herriot"
- "Charming home of James Herriott"
- "A quick trip to Thirsk"
- "Thirsk - All creatures great and small"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thirsk
- Hotels in Thirsk
- Transportation in Thirsk
- Restaurants in Thirsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thirsk
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Thirsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thirsk
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues