"God's own country!" Top 5 Page for this destination Yorkshire Dales National Park by Sjalen
Yorkshire Dales National Park Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 503 photos
Just like last time, I cannot believe that I haven't been back for soooo long but for this I blame my Scandinavian-obsessed Yorkshire husband who insists on staying away from Yorkshire and of course, my own discovery of Italy in later years. The Yorkshire Dales is one of only three places in the world which make me cry when I leave (the others being my Baltic Sea archipelago house and Sicily) they are that special to me. I guess I just love the down to earth feeling of the people here, coupled with a scenery where cloud and sun make patterns on desolate fellsides, all full of black faced sheep.
Yorkshire Dales is maybe not as dramatic as the Lake District to the west with its higher peaks, but it just feels more natural. Even the Dales can be overrun with tourists but still not like the lakeside towns with their non stop souvenir shops and coach loads. Here I write about some of my favourite places in the park. I tend to visit the upper eastern part more than the western and southern, so you will find more tips on those Dales, but just bear with me and I will have visited much more as I keep returning.
Dale is an old Norse word which means "valley" and is a legacy from viking times ("dal in Swedish and Norwegian today for instance). The Yorkshire Dales consist of five different dales areas with smaller dales in between. Most (with the main exception being Wensleydale along the river Ure) are named after the rivers running through them:
Dramatic Swaledale and Arkengarthdale in the north
Wensleydale with its farming heritage and history
Nidderdale and Wharfedale in the south
Ribblesdale and the Cumbrian border with caves
Malhamdale and Langstrothdale with more caves and lakes
All have different characters and sights even if they all have fells (hills), sheep farming and stone walls in common and the National Park logo is in fact a Swaledale sheep. I describe their differences further under "General tips".
For more information than I can ever give you, do visit the official park webpage: http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/
- Pros:veeeeery scenic and historic
- Cons:poor public transport, houses too expensive for me today :(
- In a nutshell:God's own country
The small market town of Settle at the end of Ribblesdale is a hub for the south-western corner of the Dales with its... more travel advice
Because of public transport, you're often better off driving yourself in Yorkshire - especially the Dales. Just bear in... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Yorkshire Dales National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Yorkshire Dales National Park page"
- "God's own country!"
- "SCENIC YORKSHIRE DALES"
- "Dales, Fells and Limestone"
- "Yorkshire Dales"
- "A Dales Woman at Heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Hotels in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Transportation in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Restaurants in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Shopping in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- 29 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Yorkshire Dales National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Posted in Travel Malmö Forum "Canadian going to Malmö for hockey"
- Commented on one of edgarhee's Yorkshire Dales National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Settle in Yorkshire Dales National Park Things to Do
- updated a Yorkshire Dales National Park Travel Page "God's own country!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tan Hill"
Photos in Yorkshire Dales National ParkSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues