"A natural wonder" Top 5 Page for this destination Abisko Nationalpark by Sjalen
Abisko Nationalpark Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 139 photos
I have wanted to go to Abisko for years and years, but I had thought my first visit would be in summer, enjoying the midnight sun. As it happens, the famous fell station decided to open for Christmas and New Year 2004 for the first time ever, and as the pioneer I am, I convinced my husband (not hard since he has always been pining for the Arctic) that we should experience complete midwinter, when the sun never rises above the horizon, which is mid December to the first days of January. We combined this trip with a visit to the Ice Hotel in Jukkasjaervi and had some good weather there, but once in Abisko, the ever changing fell weather (rather than the midwinter light as you can see from the Ice Hotel pictures on that page) let us down which is why the pictures are very dark. Having said that, it wasn't a letdown in any other way, as the New Years celebrations themselves were great, with a bunch of unknown but friendly people AND a bit of northern light in between clouds, and we got to experience an Arctic snow storm down by the 70 kilometre long Lake Torne :))) Great stuff and we hope to make it a tradition to visit Putte and Nicki at the fell station if they do this again.
Abisko has been a national park for a long time and is getting increasingly popular. It is not as big as the ones in Laponia further south, but has enough rare plants in summer to make Attenborough impressed and call it one of the two natural wonders of Europe! In winter, it is a bit warmer than inland places like Kiruna, due to its proximity to Norway with the Gulf stream. However, this also means that you get to see some good northern lights regularly as the clouds often dissolve over Norway and give Abisko clearer skies. It is also the starting point of the famous Kungsleden hiking trail, snailing its way south for more than 400 kilometres through the fells. If you want to see pictures of it in summer with the characteristic fell birch in bloom, have a look at dave_21's and other pages.
- Pros:scenic, easy to reach, cloud gaps give northern lights
- Cons:a bit too little snow sometimes as close to the Gulf stream in Norway, touristy in summer
- In a nutshell:A very special place
Located in Sweden's only biosphere reserve, on the shores of Lake Torne, the station welcomes summer visitors amongst... more travel advice
As with other Naturums throughout Sweden, this is an exhibition sponsored by the Swedish Environment Agency to learn... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Abisko Nationalpark Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Abisko National Park"
- "A natural wonder"
- "North to Abisko"
- "Abisko National Park"
- "Abisko - One my favourite places on Earth"
- "Storyin Abisko"
- "Think twice before you follow a scooter track ;)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Abisko Nationalpark
- Hotels in Abisko Nationalpark
- Transportation in Abisko Nationalpark
- Nightlife in Abisko Nationalpark
- Restaurants in Abisko Nationalpark
- Shopping in Abisko Nationalpark
- Warnings and Dangers in Abisko Nationalpark
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Abisko Nationalpark
- 14 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Abisko Nationalpark?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abisko Nationalpark
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues