"The Bjäre Peninsula" Båstad by Sjalen
Båstad Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 31 photos
The Bjäre Peninsula is a fantastic slice of southern Sweden and Båstad is its hub. Locals fondly call it Sweden's Tuscany and whilst that might be an over statement it's not that far off. The peninsula is hilly as it is a part of the Halland Ridge, separating the Scania and Halland provinces. This gives it very nice scenery with rolling hills and surprising bends, and at the same time it is a part of Scania with all that entails as far as food traditions go. Especially the potato is worshipped here and anyone who has tried Swedish new potatoes in summer know that these are amongst the tastiest spuds in the world and that is a very objective view from a Swede. Cycling is great here once you're on top of the ridge, and if you cycle here, you will often encounter potato pickers or swerve around the odd dropped potato along the roads.
Båstad itself is the easiest place to reach here and a good starting point for any tour. The town is mainly famous for being the host of the Swedish Open tennis championships every July and for all that this means to the area in the form of holidaying Stockholmers. This means the nightlife is amongst the best in Sweden during the short summer months, even if prices are also raised to reflect Stockholm incomes. If you avoid the tennis weeks or stay in the countryside outside, you can instead have a very quiet holiday, visiting seaside villages and famous scenery.
- Pros:scenic, fun, good food, seaside
- Cons:not really...somewhat expensive during the tennis weeks
- In a nutshell:Views, water and wild nightlife
The whole peninsula has plenty of beaches even if they don't belong to the longest in Scania. Båstad itself has a beach... more travel advice
I will long count my visit to Torekov as one of the nicest days in my life. Sure, I had good company (the family) and... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Båstad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Bjäre Peninsula"
- "Sleepy summer town wakes up with some tennis"
- "Sweden's tennis capital"
- "Býstad - Charming and Elegant"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Båstad
- Transportation in Båstad
- Nightlife in Båstad
- Restaurants in Båstad
- Warnings and Dangers in Båstad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Båstad
- 13 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (201)
Have you been to Båstad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Båstad
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues