"Wooden heritage" Eksjö by Sjalen

Eksjö Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 123 photos

Eksjö is an architectural wonder with its wooden houses in old, Swedish style. It has won many international prizes, such as Europa Nostra, for its architecture and it is very cosy to just stroll around the centre, stopping to look at a particularly nice yard. There are many to look at since this small town has no less than 56 listed buildings!

The army has always meant a lot to Eksjö with the old excercise area "Ränneslätt" just outside. Two regiments have been based here although only one remains, and this means that there has always been a certain "academic" life here not normally associated with a town of this small size. The famous hussars also contribute to this (see local tip). It also helps that one of Sweden's most famous humouristic and peculiar authors and artists, Albert Engström, was born here. Today, there are lots of cultural events throughout the year, both military, such as the tattoo, and civil such as historical plays and markets.

I have family here and despite that I do not visit as often as I would like now I no longer live nearby like I did when I was a child. Everytime I DO visit, I find out new things and visit new pretty villages and if only I had an interesting job, it is the sort of place I could live in.

• Pros:great atmosphere, wooden houses, mystic countryside
  • Cons:too small for some
  • In a nutshell:I could live here
  • Last visit to Eksjö: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2005

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 10:24 PM

It is really incredible that also here on VT no one found your Eksjö so far. For me it looks like heaven: picturesque, a lovely STF hostel and Skurugata nearby :-) Juchhu, summer come soon :-)) Thanks!!

Sjalen Visits Here Frequently!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Eksjö