"Wooden heritage" Eksjö by Sjalen
Eksjö Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 123 photos
Eksjö is an architectural wonder with its wooden houses in old, Swedish style. It has won many international prizes, such as Europa Nostra, for its architecture and it is very cosy to just stroll around the centre, stopping to look at a particularly nice yard. There are many to look at since this small town has no less than 56 listed buildings!
The army has always meant a lot to Eksjö with the old excercise area "Ränneslätt" just outside. Two regiments have been based here although only one remains, and this means that there has always been a certain "academic" life here not normally associated with a town of this small size. The famous hussars also contribute to this (see local tip). It also helps that one of Sweden's most famous humouristic and peculiar authors and artists, Albert Engström, was born here. Today, there are lots of cultural events throughout the year, both military, such as the tattoo, and civil such as historical plays and markets.
I have family here and despite that I do not visit as often as I would like now I no longer live nearby like I did when I was a child. Everytime I DO visit, I find out new things and visit new pretty villages and if only I had an interesting job, it is the sort of place I could live in.
- Pros:great atmosphere, wooden houses, mystic countryside
- Cons:too small for some
- In a nutshell:I could live here
I have passed this church so many times on my way between Västervik and Eksjö in my childhood and it became a favourite... more travel advice
The army presence in Eksjö with its infantery and fusilliers once also included the Småland Hussars, something you can... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Eksjö Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful town and spectacular canyon :-)"
- "Wooden heritage"
- "One of the best preserved timber towns in Sweden"
- "WELCOME TO MY EKSJö PAGE......:-)"
- "Misty World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eksjö
- Hotels in Eksjö
- Transportation in Eksjö
- Nightlife in Eksjö
- Restaurants in Eksjö
- Shopping in Eksjö
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eksjö
- 17 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Eksjö?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eksjö
Photos in EksjöSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues