"Love at first sight" Fårö by Sjalen
Fårö Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 33 photos
Fårö was a must for me during our Gotland trip. The island north of an island, so famous for being Ingmar Bergman's home for almost half his life. Here he found a place to fall in love with and I can only say I know exactly why. Some people do not like it at all, thinking it too strange and barren, but most people get fascinated and I hope to be amongst those returning again to explore it in depth as it took me about one minute flat from getting off the ferry to be overwhelmed almost to tears by a strange homely, yet passionate feel. I really cannot explain it in any other way.
On Fårö you find a landscape that shows you what Gotland itself might have looked like before modern agriculture when swamps where suddenly dyked and cultivated. Here you find local Gute sheep all over the island, stopped only by English style cattle grids known in Swedish as a "färist" and by countless thin drystone walls in a style I have never seen anywhere else. The sea is ever present too, with long horizons and with rocky beaches full of those peculiar stone stacks known as "rauks" here. Fårö has some of the best rauk fields in Gotland and sometimes it is like being on another planet.
Fårö, despite its name and all the sheep, does not mean "sheep island" as one would think since "får" is Swedish for sheep. Here the language is another, and it might mean either a place far away or it might be an old word for four, since it is thought that the island might have been split in four before the landrise which still continues after the latest ice age.
- Pros:extremely scenic and unusual, peaceful, sea everywhere, hard to reach
- Cons:I cannot afford a house there, nor make a living yet.
- In a nutshell:Unique
Whatever you do, do NOT swim by the rauk fields. Yes, it looks very tempting with a white and pebbly beach and even more... more travel advice
Fårö is yet another island with campsites near the sea. At Sudersand, this means 50 metres to the beach, although do not... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Fårö Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Fårö
- Hotels in Fårö
- Transportation in Fårö
- Warnings and Dangers in Fårö
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fårö
- 14 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (201)
Have you been to Fårö?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fårö
Photos in FåröSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues