"Railways and rams" Top 5 Page for this destination Gävle by Sjalen

Gävle Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 94 photos

G?vle to me is one of Sweden's hidden gems. I would not have been that familiar with it if it was not for the fact that my mum was born here and has her first happy memories from this place until granny had enough of the dark winters up here and asked granddad if it wasn't time for that career move home to south Sweden yet. It was, and so he had to leave his County office and the chairmanship of the local football club to someone else and move south for good, much to mums sadness.

Today, she has hardly gone back, whilst I instead seem to go there regularly. Not that I'm a train spotter but I DO love train journeys and G?vle is the home of the National Railway Museum. It is also home of the famous Christmas straw ram which people come all over the world to set fire to and to Gevalia coffee - quite trendy in New York these days I believe? The city smells of it on business days. Wake up and smell the coffee here you too!

• Pros:good museums, friendly, scenic archipelago
  • Cons:dark winters
  • In a nutshell:Great stopover between Stockholm and the highlands
  • Last visit to Gävle: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 6, 2004

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 6:57 AM

Looks like a great town to explore. As a railroad buff I would especially enjoy it. For now, I think I'll go fix myself some hot chocolate and whipped cream.

• Maline's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2004 at 7:36 AM

Gavle really IS a hidden gem. I do love this pretty little town. Your page and tips a re a great introduction. and I hope to make it to the railway museum one day!!

• Jul 2, 2004 at 5:40 AM

Great site mate. I'm English & I live in Gävle. Royal The India Curry house sucks big! The ONLY thing going for it, is it is the ONLY curry place in the city.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2004 at 2:19 PM

I do love train trips either ...this NRM looks interesting, i keep it in mind ...these Julbocken seem to be funny ...nice page ... :o)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2004 at 3:02 PM

A lovely place & great pics ! It is always great to see these wooden houses !

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2004 at 5:21 PM

What a shame your Mum rarely goes back, but I'm sure you update her. Sounds a great museums there. Food/Drink wise, you seem to get everything here:-) Thats quite a custom with the Ram... interesting page.

• nicoleken's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2004 at 11:01 AM

Wonderful pictures and a very nice page !

• Nobbe's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2004 at 10:35 AM

Så det var du som eldade ner bocken i år? =)

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Gävle