"A nice place to grow up in" Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg by Sjalen
Göteborg Travel Guide: 906 reviews and 1,739 photos
Göteborg is Sweden's second city and always painfully aware of it - some locals hate Stockholm citizens with that feeling that only a nation's second city can have. Despite this, a great mix of city bustle and small town friendliness has made it famous as Sweden's friendliest city for years. With its broad river and west coast location, it is Scandinavia's largest port and because of this you will find the best selection of fresh food here, including much more fresh fish than in Stockholm of course. You will also find many industries depending on logistics such as Volvo, SKF ball bearings and others, even though many of the famous shipping yards have had to close or only repair ships rather than build new these days.
Nowadays, Göteborg is therefore not at all an industrial city as such but more a logistic centre. No grim environments or tall chimneys at all! Instead you have a huge amount of green areas, archipelago and loads of sport and culture. The main childrens' theatre is world famous in its genre and I don't know how many football teams currently play in the national leagues. The city has risen from being wrecked during the 2001 EU summit and keeps on hosting world events after already hosting the World Athletics Championships, European Football Championships, Equestrian World Cup finals etc.
I moved here when I was ten years old and in the beginning I found it fascinating to live in such a big city which I hadn't done since leaving Stockholm at the age of four. Then came a long period when I didn't understand the city at all since I came from the East Coast which they make fun of in Göteborg, thinking that they live on the "Best Coast" where the water is saltier than in the brackish Baltic Sea. I also found it quite a rainy place compared to the East. But then came college and all the fun with pubs, clubs and such. This is when I realised that Göteborg is probably Sweden's most expat friendly city too. Everywhere you go, you meet British people who seem to have stayed on and on here and well...I suppose it's only natural since it's called "Little London" in Sweden, facing the west as it does and with a ferry to England, and plenty of Scottish influences in its history. There are also ferries to Denmark and Germany and you cannot help feeling that maybe the locals are right and that you ARE more in the middle of world events here compared to the rest of Sweden :)))
- Pros:seaside atmosphere, perfect size, friendly, green
- Cons:More rain than in Eastern Sweden
- In a nutshell:Sail along and make friends!
As I grew up just one block from this old lump of stone, I hold it dear. It was built in the 17th century as part of the... more travel advice
A while before seven in the morning is when you should trail down to the riverside from the hill above (you will soon... more travel advice
- See All Röda Sten
- See All Music
- See All Classic nightclub
- See All Belgian beer and great food
- See All Train
Sjalen's Related Pages
Göteborg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A nice place to grow up in"
- "Henrik's Göteborg page"
- "Where the seagulls cry"
- "Goteborg - Sweden's maritime city"
- "Heaven should be spelt: "Gbg"."
- "IFK Göteborg - king of the town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Göteborg
- Hotels in Göteborg
- Transportation in Göteborg
- Nightlife in Göteborg
- Restaurants in Göteborg
- Shopping in Göteborg
- Warnings and Dangers in Göteborg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Göteborg
- 80 Reviews
- 137 Photos
- 204 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (197)
Have you been to Göteborg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Göteborg
Photos in GöteborgSee All Photos (137)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues