"A nice place to grow up in" Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg by Sjalen

Göteborg Travel Guide: 942 reviews and 1,858 photos

Göteborg is Sweden's second city and always painfully aware of it - some locals hate Stockholm citizens with that feeling that only a nation's second city can have. Despite this, a great mix of city bustle and small town friendliness has made it famous as Sweden's friendliest city for years. With its broad river and west coast location, it is Scandinavia's largest port and because of this you will find the best selection of fresh food here, including much more fresh fish than in Stockholm of course. You will also find many industries depending on logistics such as Volvo, SKF ball bearings and others, even though many of the famous shipping yards have had to close or only repair ships rather than build new these days.

Nowadays, Göteborg is therefore not at all an industrial city as such but more a logistic centre. No grim environments or tall chimneys at all! Instead you have a huge amount of green areas, archipelago and loads of sport and culture. The main childrens' theatre is world famous in its genre and I don't know how many football teams currently play in the national leagues. The city has risen from being wrecked during the 2001 EU summit and keeps on hosting world events after already hosting the World Athletics Championships, European Football Championships, Equestrian World Cup finals etc.

I moved here when I was ten years old and in the beginning I found it fascinating to live in such a big city which I hadn't done since leaving Stockholm at the age of four. Then came a long period when I didn't understand the city at all since I came from the East Coast which they make fun of in Göteborg, thinking that they live on the "Best Coast" where the water is saltier than in the brackish Baltic Sea. I also found it quite a rainy place compared to the East. But then came college and all the fun with pubs, clubs and such. This is when I realised that Göteborg is probably Sweden's most expat friendly city too. Everywhere you go, you meet British people who seem to have stayed on and on here and well...I suppose it's only natural since it's called "Little London" in Sweden, facing the west as it does and with a ferry to England, and plenty of Scottish influences in its history. There are also ferries to Denmark and Germany and you cannot help feeling that maybe the locals are right and that you ARE more in the middle of world events here compared to the rest of Sweden :)))

• Pros:seaside atmosphere, perfect size, friendly, green
  • Cons:More rain than in Eastern Sweden
  • In a nutshell:Sail along and make friends!
  • Last visit to Göteborg: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2010

• Christianne's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Looks great! I would like to visit it!

• israelsson2007's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 2:17 AM

Interesting tips. Hälsning Eva

• jennymdahlgren's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2007 at 4:15 PM

If you look at Poseidon from a certain angle (stand on his left side) you can also see what the fish is all about.

• May 3, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Hello, I am traveling to Sweden and would like to rent a sail boat to boat in the Gota canal, is there an affordable charter company you can steer me to. Thank you

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2006 at 5:56 AM

Haha, I thought, Göteborg would only be my arriving town in Sweden for my next summer trip.... but now.... with all these museums and botanical garden.. Hihi, I will stay for some days ! That ship as hostel looks perfect :-)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 7:45 AM

great overview!

• Oct 24, 2006 at 12:56 PM

Very useful tips and great pics. I ll be there in 2 weeks and i just can't wait! ;-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2006 at 11:18 AM

excellent infos and great pics ! My favorite places would be the Maritime museum, the old large sailing-boats and Gatenhielmska, I saw similar such houses of former captains in Aberdeen : the Fitties

• Sep 19, 2006 at 8:50 AM

tjenare, how is it possible to sail along and make friends in gothenburg? could you please tell me?

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2006 at 2:40 PM

Nice night life tips. Thanks!!

Sjalen Used To Live Here!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Göteborg

Have you been to Göteborg?

Latest Activity in Göteborg