"Magic island" Top 5 Page for this destination Gotland by Sjalen

Gotland Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 212 photos

Gotland is Sweden's biggest island, and a county all on its own. In the tourist brochures, it is marketed to the rest of us as "Sweden abroad" and that is not far from the truth, as Gotland is not typically Swedish. Here, houses are limestone whitewashed instead of wooden red, the cows are replaced by sheep and the mentality is friendly but with a dry sense of humour that comes with living on an island away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the country. Add to this a bit of pride, since Gotland has an incredible amount of history, both living and past, and you end up with an island which will never cease to fascinate you.

I went here for the first time in August 2007 and it was so good I had to come back for New Year to a more quiet but equally lovely island. Let's see if I ever upload those gorgeous winter pics.

Administratively, Gotland is a peculiar place as the whole island is run as one single municipality and at the same time it is its own county. This frequently means that the County administrators know municipality people and discussions are perhaps a tad too biased when it comes to nature reserves and so on where the County council could stop developments but instead follow the municipality when they want to give all sorts of permissions to local businessmen instead.

This united administration also shows itself in that when you speak of people on Gotland you mention the parish they come from rather than a municipality or village. But then again this is hardly surprising as the island has 92 medieval churches to be proud of!

• Pros:scenic, good food, history everywhere
  • Cons:expensive to reach
  • In a nutshell:Sweden's top holiday destination
  • Last visit to Gotland: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 30, 2008

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2008 at 1:42 AM

Hi again, excellent page - if I get to Visby and Gotland I will have to print and take your tips with me!thanks. When are you back online!?

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Rubbing swords together... Excellent page. Promise I'll come back to read your unfinished tips or turn to stone. Do remind me :-)

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Excellent page Charlotta! I know you are not done writing yet, but you've already got me enthusiastic! I think I need to squeeze in Gotland somewhere in next years travel plans :-)))

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Gotland

Have you been to Gotland?

Latest Activity in Gotland