"Magic island" Top 5 Page for this destination Gotland by Sjalen
Gotland Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 201 photos
Gotland is Sweden's biggest island, and a county all on its own. In the tourist brochures, it is marketed to the rest of us as "Sweden abroad" and that is not far from the truth, as Gotland is not typically Swedish. Here, houses are limestone whitewashed instead of wooden red, the cows are replaced by sheep and the mentality is friendly but with a dry sense of humour that comes with living on an island away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the country. Add to this a bit of pride, since Gotland has an incredible amount of history, both living and past, and you end up with an island which will never cease to fascinate you.
I went here for the first time in August 2007 and it was so good I had to come back for New Year to a more quiet but equally lovely island. Let's see if I ever upload those gorgeous winter pics.
Administratively, Gotland is a peculiar place as the whole island is run as one single municipality and at the same time it is its own county. This frequently means that the County administrators know municipality people and discussions are perhaps a tad too biased when it comes to nature reserves and so on where the County council could stop developments but instead follow the municipality when they want to give all sorts of permissions to local businessmen instead.
This united administration also shows itself in that when you speak of people on Gotland you mention the parish they come from rather than a municipality or village. But then again this is hardly surprising as the island has 92 medieval churches to be proud of!
- Pros:scenic, good food, history everywhere
- Cons:expensive to reach
- In a nutshell:Sweden's top holiday destination
- See All Biking holiday
- See All Horsey holiday
- Rauk swimming
- See All Wind power
Sjalen's Related Pages
Gotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magic island"
- "Gotland, Visby!"
- "Gotland and its hanseatic capital Visby"
- "Sightseeing on Gotland in black and white"
- "What a surprise!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gotland
- Hotels in Gotland
- Transportation in Gotland
- Restaurants in Gotland
- Shopping in Gotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Gotland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gotland
- 30 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Gotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gotland
Photos in GotlandSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues