"Pearl of Öresund Strait" Top 5 Page for this destination Helsingborg by Sjalen
Helsingborg Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 231 photos
Helsingborg - the gateway to Sweden long before the Öresund Bridge was built further down in Malmö! This is where the Öresund Strait is at its narrowest and so, ideal for ferries across to Denmark. In medieval times, it even belonged to Denmark, as did the whole province of Skåne. Today, there is a peculiar link between Helsingborg and its sister town Helsingör (Elsinore) across the strait and ferries ply the strait every twenty minutes or so which makes it one of the most trafficked shipping lanes in the world. These days, a lot of transport goes through Malmö and the bridge but there is still enough to keep two shipping lines busy as people want the twenty minute rest that a crossing means. Some also cross just to have a day out and Swedes go for cheaper Danish beer and booze!
To me and many other Swedes, it is a slightly magical place since before the bridge, this is where we left Sweden to go abroad every time we went by land. Most exiting was to go by train and have your sleeper rolled across onto the ferry to the clanking of train signals in the night :-) The world, here we come!
Today, you can discover a city which is more than just an arrival point though. Beautiful gardens and seaside and a nice friendly atmosphere. On top of that, an interesting cultural centre with lots of exhibitions. I would definately call this one of the nicest cities in Sweden.
- Pros:nice setting, easy access
- Cons:not really
- In a nutshell:Gardens, ferries and an international atmosphere
The harbour piers at Helsingborg are very popular to fish from as the big ferries' movements drive up lots of fish. more travel advice
An amazing site in a small nature reserve along the Råå river, this is a site where stone age people sharpened their... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Helsingborg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pearl of Öresund Strait"
- "Helsingborgs IF - saved by the politicians"
- "Shorthest distance to Denmark"
- "Helsingborg - a interesting small city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsingborg
- Hotels in Helsingborg
- Transportation in Helsingborg
- Nightlife in Helsingborg
- Restaurants in Helsingborg
- Shopping in Helsingborg
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsingborg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsingborg
- 22 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Helsingborg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsingborg
Photos in HelsingborgSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues