"Norwegian history in Sweden" Kungälv by Sjalen
Kungälv Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 32 photos
Kungalv is a town just around 20 kilometres north of Gothenburg and so, very easy to reach from there. It lies where Nordre River meets Gota River - the latter is the one running through Gothenburg. It is a shame that not more tourists visit here, as they would find one of the biggest fortress ruins in Scandinavia as well as a nice wooden town centre. Most people who visit Kungalv municipality often do so without knowing it, through the fantastic archipelago with nearby Marstrand as the most famous spot. Shame they miss the town itself. It was founded in what was then Norway - the border with Sweden ran along the middle of Hising Island on the way to Gothenburg - and the first version of the town was actually five kilometres down the Nordre River which you see in this picture. Later, the town grew towards the fortress instead, The fortress is a huge stone defense system against Swedish invasions where you can see just about everything happening on both rivers and no one has any trouble understanding the strategic significance of its placement.
- Pros:scenic, great archipelago, historic
- Cons:quiet - everyone parties in Gothenburg :)))
- In a nutshell:Nordic junction
A wonderful place in the archipelago outside Kungälv, Marstrand is the major sailing centre in west coast Sweden and... more travel advice
From 1679-80, this is a nice little church, primarily famous for being where author Pär Lagerkvist (see my Växjö page)... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Kungälv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Norwegian history in Sweden"
- "Small, old and lovley!"
- "My home town"
- "Kungalv Castle"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kungälv
- 8 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Kungälv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kungälv
Photos in KungälvSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues