"Planes, trains and automobiles" Top 5 Page for this destination Linköping by Sjalen
Linköping Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 176 photos
OK, the last time I stopped in Linköping for any length of time was in my childhood, but then a lot happened here that I still think about. So I made a short VT page with no pictures to show why you should go there. I also promised myself that I would do so soon again, rather than just whizz by on the train between Stockholm and Malmö or changing trains from Västervik to wherever. I recently did, so here is now an updated page of a surprising city.
Yes, Linköping was the major regional city for me during my six years in little Västervik as a child. Even though Västervik is in a different county, it has always turned to Linköping rather than its own regional city in the south and this is why I have found myself here several times on school trips. Furthermore, my father happend to work here for a year at that time too and his grandfather was a clergyman here so we have links to the city in several ways.
Linköping today (Sweden's fifth biggest municipality around seventh biggest city wise) is mainly known for being the home of SAAB, makers of cars and planes, and their airplane production. This makes it quite a technological place in general and the university offers several unusual courses in the field. But the city also stands on one of Sweden's main agricultural plains so food manufacturing is also of importance and the surrounding countryside is full of farms and nice mansions.
Historically, Linköping has a special ring to it. The city is set by the river Stånge (Stångån) and the Battle of Stånge Bridge took place here in 1598. This was between the catholic Swedish-Polish king Sigismund and his uncle Karl (who won and became king) and the last time Swede fought Swede in a battle. Duke Karl was of course not happy with those who had chosen to fight for Sigismund and in March 1600 he consequently had five of the accused twelve noblemen executed in what has become known as Linköping's Bloodbath. Today, the city is a lot more pleasant than that and a good base for exploring the Östergötland province.
- Pros:forward thinking, central location, historic
- Cons:still a bit quiet, modern city centre bits
- In a nutshell:Vehicles, students and cathedral
Linköping Castle has today been turned into a museum showing the history of the city which is quite dramatic. The castle... more travel advice
The cathedral is not the most impressive in Sweden today, but visible for miles on the surrounding plain with its 107... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Linköping Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Linkoping – a city around a cathedral"
- "*L I N K Ö P I N G*"
- "El Sueco Linköping Page"
- "Planes, trains and automobiles"
- "sarasue's new Linkoping Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Linköping
- Hotels in Linköping
- Transportation in Linköping
- Nightlife in Linköping
- Restaurants in Linköping
- Shopping in Linköping
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Linköping
- 7 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Linköping?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Linköping
- Posted in Travel Sweden Forum "Re: Denmark and Sweden holiday"
- updated a Linköping Travel Page "Planes, trains and automobiles"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Planes, trains and automobiles"
- Wrote a Review Linköping Castle and Diocese Museum in Linköping Things to Do
- Commented on one of salinhopt's Linköping travel pages
Photos in LinköpingSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues