"Castle and cosyness" Mariefred by Sjalen

Mariefred Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 271 photos

For many, many years I have wanted to go to Mariefred to see one of Sweden's most amazing castles, and this year we finally made it. I was not disappointed...

The pretty town of Mariefred itself is just next to the castle and easily explored by foot the same day, although the prettiness of the place can make you want to stay and explore other areas around the lake. It grew up in the shadow of the first fortress in the 14th century and especially when this was later made an abbey before the reformation - Pacis Mariae, Mariefred!

• Pros:picturesque, great castle, close to Stockholm
  • Cons:poor public transport
  • In a nutshell:A fabulous day out!
  • Last visit to Mariefred: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2004

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 10:35 AM

This brings back memories of a gorgeous Swedish summer day, painted houses, a meadow full of daisies, a lake and hours spent at Gripsholm. Beautiful. leyle

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2004 at 9:21 AM

Gripsholm castle is a great place to visit! I loved it here! And Mariefred is so picturesque. I haven't been to the Grafikens Hus either, maybe some day :-)) Great page Charlotta! And great to see another Mariefred page on VT!

• fossettes's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2004 at 11:33 AM

I am so glad to have found your Mariefred page! All my questions have been answered about our daytrip! Great tips and I really appreciate the web links! Excellent work!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Mariefred

Have you been to Mariefred?

Latest Activity in Mariefred