"The Middle of Sweden" Östersund by Sjalen
Östersund Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 38 photos
Most people see Stockholm as the middle of Sweden but oh no, this is an oblong country and you have to go to the highlands to reach the middle. There is in fact a village between Östersund and the town of Sundsvall which has grabbed the official title and issues certificates to visitors. But Östersund will do me fine as a representative of mid Sweden. It lies on a hillside next to the great Storsjön which is Sweden's fifth largest lake (and its Loch Ness) so there is some scenery here. Opposite the town centre is the large Frösön island with this gorgeous view of the highlands in the distance as this is the gateway to the majestic Jämtland fells. To those of you who think this is too tranquil, I can inform you that there is no need to worry if you come in July during the Storsjöyran festival...! As it is also somewhat of a centre for the midlands, a student town and gateway for people going to Åre, there is a surprisingly exotic nightlife for its size (60 000).
- Pros:scenic, easy to reach, exotic nightlife
- Cons:crap local transport, dark winters
- In a nutshell:Lots to discover!
400 metres up a steep road off the main road is a tall viewing tower which can also be seen from the town centre. Once... more travel advice
This is supposedly Jämtland's biggest tourist attraction for some bizarre reason. It's perfectly OK but how it can be... more travel advice
- Where people go
- Buy an Östersund Card!
- Easy to get to
- See All Storsjö Lake Monster
Sjalen's Related Pages
Östersund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nature and ski towns"
- "The Middle of Sweden"
- "On the way home from Norway"
- "ÅRE - A great place for downhill-skiing"
- "Community of Sweden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Östersund
- Hotels in Östersund
- Transportation in Östersund
- Nightlife in Östersund
- Restaurants in Östersund
- Shopping in Östersund
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Östersund
- 16 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Östersund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Östersund
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues