"Sweden's oldest town" Top 5 Page for this destination Sigtuna by Sjalen
Sigtuna Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 228 photos
Quite popular amongst the Stockholmers themselves, few tourists know that this is considered Sweden's oldest town and they certainly don't know what they miss by not going! Sigtuna was founded as a royal centre around 980 (and not long after, Sweden's first coin was minted here) when the nearby viking town of Birka was abandoned for an unknown reason. As a result, the region is littered with viking rune stones (around 150 of them), many of them in the town centre. It also has three medieval church ruins and the surroundings are full of interesting baroque castles due to the good agricultural land and proximity to Stockholm.
As many old towns around Stockholm, it is beautifully situated along the shores of Lake Mälaren and in summer, there are boat trips from Stockholm. For Swedes, Sigtuna is mostly famous for its boarding schools where royals have been sent but also some expat children who want to stay in Sweden when their parents move. You might actually have skirted town without knowing it since it hosts Sweden's largest airport known as Stockholm Arlanda.
- Pros:historical, lakeside setting
- Cons:too expensive to buy a house :-)))
- In a nutshell:breathes history
You won't go hungry here. We ate at a friend's house so I can't recommend anything particular but there are several... more travel advice
Go for a stroll along Stora Gatan and into the side streets, down to the waterfront and so on. You will see 18th and... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Sigtuna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Millenarian history a 30-minute bus ride away"
- "Sweden's oldest town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sigtuna
- Hotels in Sigtuna
- Transportation in Sigtuna
- Nightlife in Sigtuna
- Restaurants in Sigtuna
- Shopping in Sigtuna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sigtuna
- 13 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Sigtuna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sigtuna
- Posted in Travel Abisko Nationalpark Forum "Re: Going from Katterjåkk to Abisko"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Skokloster Castle"
- Commented on one of Assenczo's Sigtuna travel pages
- updated a Sigtuna Travel Page "Sweden's oldest town"
- Wrote a Review Steninge Castle and cultural centre in Sigtuna Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues