Stockholm Shopping Tips by Sjalen Top 5 Page for this destination
Stockholm Shopping: 163 reviews and 220 photos
The "Nordic Company", or NK as it is more generally known, is so famous that I do not really have to add it as a VT tip, with its famous logo on a pole on the roof, but I still feel my shopping tips aren't really complete unless I do. Today, NK is no longer a department store as such, but instead a store with lots of stores within. You will find a mix of clothes, gifts, jewellery, toys and lots more. On a more sad note, this is where Foreign minister Anna Lindh was stabbed some years ago. This was a deed by a madman, directed at a minister, so of course you need not be more concerned than elsewhere about your own safety when shopping here. I just added this information so you know in case you wander past someone looking solemn all of a sudden. NK is incredibly famous for its shop windows at Christmas and rightly so - children are mezmerised by all the moving images with fairy worlds, Santa's workshops and so on.
What to buy: Anything.
Directions: Opposite Kungsträdgården.
Theme: Department Store
Gudrun is a Swedish designer who have made herself quite a name and today has shops in the 3 main cities (plus one in Germany). Her clothes are very personal and in a comfortable Scandinavian cut, yet every year inspired by other cultures. In the last years, she has had Chinese embroidered jackets, Russian coats and other things to vary with her cotton basic wear in cheerful colours or with flower pattern. She also has some assesoirs and a few things for your house.
What to buy: Comfy, yet stylish sweaters in cheerful colour mixes.
What to pay: A bit more than average but this is not H&M. Still affordable compared to world fashion gurus.
Directions: There is one in the Old Town near the underground, one on Söder and one just off Gallerian shopping centre near Sergels Torg (picture).
Theme: Women's Clothes
Drottninggatan is where you go if you want to find antiquarian book shops as here they are almost side by side for a bit on the upper part near Tegnerlunden park. You will also find literary quotes on plaques in the street as you walk along.
Just what a VT member might need - no, it's not because I subscribe to this magazine which is Sweden's biggest travel magazine and very laid back. It is just that they have all those guide books you're looking for and a few other travellers things such as vaccuum backpack bags and things. Don't expect it to come cheap though - Amazon before you get here is better value for money - but if you're stuck with nothing to read or no guide to where you're heading next, try this. You will find the Rough Guide to Italy in most bookshops in Stockholm, but this is the place where you will also find the Cadogan guide to Bologna and Emilia-Romana too to give you a clue.
If you're looking for maps specifically, you're better off going to the shops around the Central station. One is just opposite the main station exit and another a couple of blocks away along Vasagatan and to the left (that one also has lots of guide books).
Directions: Underground to Skanstull.
Well...that's how it's described on the website, and whilst that is a huuuuge overstatement, mainly because of the size of it all, little Street still is a place where people meet in a Camdenesque way in the cafes of the market, having browsed the stalls. To be ctd.
Theme: Women's Clothes
Söder style for a Söder house :-)
A mix of everything that has been in vogue throughout the 1900s, and some things that never really became popular but which are still good looking or functional. Many rarities.
What to pay: anything
Address: Östgötagatan 2
Directions: Walk Götgatan south from Medborgarplatsen.
Theme: Home Furnishing
You don't need to look further for that Mongolian...sorry Peruvian...oh no...Namibian flute music and the Greenland drums. Seriously, this place has it all - nothing is too exotic for them in the way of world music.
Address: S:t Paulsgatan 3
Directions: Just off Götgatan near Slussen underground.
There is no special shop but when in Stockholm you can find some really good jazz music and similar if that's what you are into. For me, jazz is the music of Stockholm's soul.
What to buy: Even if you don't speak Swedish, you will hear that the singing is good and there are plenty of instrumental recordings. Try something with famous clarinett player Putte Wickman or the Swede's own darling Monica Zetterlund who has toured with many famous jazz musicians all over the world. There are also compilations from various Stockholm jazz festivals.
More Reviews (158)
- See All St Matteus Church
- See All Bellman
- See All Whisky and reindeer anyone?
- See All My giraffes
- See All Cruise in style
- See All Gay Stockholm
Sjalen's Related Pages
Stockholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Stockholm"
- "My own water baby"
- "Stockholm in 5 days"
- "STOCKHOLM - THE CITY OF BRIDGES!"
- "Stockholm - beauty on water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockholm
- Hotels in Stockholm
- Transportation in Stockholm
- Nightlife in Stockholm
- Restaurants in Stockholm
- Shopping in Stockholm
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockholm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stockholm
- 166 Reviews
- 270 Photos
- 993 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Stockholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockholm
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gamla Stan - The Old Town- 179 Reviews, 318 Photos
- Vasa Museum- 128 Reviews, 190 Photos
- Stadshuset - City Hall- 109 Reviews, 203 Photos
- Skansen- 105 Reviews, 225 Photos
- Kungliga Slottet - Royal Palace- 101 Reviews, 176 Photos
- Sightseeing Boat Tours- 28 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Södermalm- 28 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Absolut Ice Bar- 9 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Drottningholm- 37 Reviews, 100 Photos
- Storkyrkan- 37 Reviews, 81 Photos
See All Stockholm Things to Do