"My own water baby" Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm by Sjalen
Stockholm Travel Guide: 4,061 reviews and 9,959 photos
"...and I can't handle being so far from you
Stockholm sick blues"
The city where I was born. Known as Venice of the North because of all its water and with the tourist slogan "beauty on water" this is truly one of the world's most beautiful capitals. Over the last decades it has become a bit more stressful than it was but it is still a wonderful place! The population of a little more than a million (in Greater Stockholm that is, the town itself has just under 800 000 inhabitants) today come from all over Sweden since this is where the jobs are found. This makes it extremely hard to find permanent accommodation and people often end up staying second or even third hand in small flats in the suburbs unless they have the right contacts or loads of money to buy something with costs escalating out of proportion. Fortunately, most other things about Stockholm is great as I hope these pages will show. Come to think of it, the city has no less than three World Heritage sites, which otherwise only cities like Rome and London can muster!
There are also more museums here than in most world cities. Ideal during the cosy, but dark winters. Having said that, the darkness in winter is often brightened up by snow, which is much more rare in the far south of Sweden. It is also more than compensated for by the light in summer. Therefore, do not be surprised if you visit in spring or summer and find everyone sunbathing in parks. We are just "tanking" light :)
Stockholm is a city where you can go swimming in the sea or lakes in summer and skating on the same water in winter. It is a city where every bit of bedrock sticking up has houses climbing on top of it, but with plenty of greenery in between the different rocks. This can make the various outer suburbs a bit more isolated and therefore anonymous compared to most other major cities but at least the public transport network expands everywhere and its topography makes it perfect for New Years' fireworks almost anywhere :)))
I would not mind living here again, this time as an adult, but just like most western capitals, the cost of renting apartments compared to the only slightly higher salary scare me off. Whilst making my mind up, I have to be satisfied with visiting my parents who've moved back to their youth city after some years on the West coast during my childhood.
If you want to check what is going on in Stockholm at the time of your visit, find a hotel deal or just browse, this is the official tourist site:
- Pros:water everywhere, lively, clean
- Cons:expensive and impossible housing situation, dark winters
- In a nutshell:Steamships and pub crawls
St Matthew's is a bit off the beaten path but still in the immediate city centre. Weekends it is only open in connection... more travel advice
Normally I don't like Västerlånggatan restaurants as they are far too touristy and thereby have too poor service and low... more travel advice
- See All My giraffes
- See All Cruise in style
- See All Shopping spree
- See All Gay Stockholm
- See All Fishing
Sjalen's Related Pages
Stockholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Stockholm"
- "My own water baby"
- "Stockholm in 5 days"
- "STOCKHOLM - THE CITY OF BRIDGES!"
- "Stockholm - beauty on water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockholm
- Hotels in Stockholm
- Transportation in Stockholm
- Nightlife in Stockholm
- Restaurants in Stockholm
- Shopping in Stockholm
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockholm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stockholm
- 166 Reviews
- 270 Photos
- 990 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Stockholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockholm
- Posted in Travel Abisko Nationalpark Forum "Re: Going from Katterjåkk to Abisko"
- updated a Stockholm Travel Page "My own water baby"
- Wrote a Review St Matteus Church about Matteus Church in Stockholm Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "St Matteus Church"
- Commented on one of zeelie's Stockholm travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues