"My own water baby" Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm by Sjalen

Stockholm Travel Guide: 4,069 reviews and 10,012 photos

"...and I can't handle being so far from you
Stockholm sick blues"

Fastlane Roogalator

The city where I was born. Known as Venice of the North because of all its water and with the tourist slogan "beauty on water" this is truly one of the world's most beautiful capitals. Over the last decades it has become a bit more stressful than it was but it is still a wonderful place! The population of a little more than a million (in Greater Stockholm that is, the town itself has just under 800 000 inhabitants) today come from all over Sweden since this is where the jobs are found. This makes it extremely hard to find permanent accommodation and people often end up staying second or even third hand in small flats in the suburbs unless they have the right contacts or loads of money to buy something with costs escalating out of proportion. Fortunately, most other things about Stockholm is great as I hope these pages will show. Come to think of it, the city has no less than three World Heritage sites, which otherwise only cities like Rome and London can muster!

There are also more museums here than in most world cities. Ideal during the cosy, but dark winters. Having said that, the darkness in winter is often brightened up by snow, which is much more rare in the far south of Sweden. It is also more than compensated for by the light in summer. Therefore, do not be surprised if you visit in spring or summer and find everyone sunbathing in parks. We are just "tanking" light :)

Stockholm is a city where you can go swimming in the sea or lakes in summer and skating on the same water in winter. It is a city where every bit of bedrock sticking up has houses climbing on top of it, but with plenty of greenery in between the different rocks. This can make the various outer suburbs a bit more isolated and therefore anonymous compared to most other major cities but at least the public transport network expands everywhere and its topography makes it perfect for New Years' fireworks almost anywhere :)))

I would not mind living here again, this time as an adult, but just like most western capitals, the cost of renting apartments compared to the only slightly higher salary scare me off. Whilst making my mind up, I have to be satisfied with visiting my parents who've moved back to their youth city after some years on the West coast during my childhood.

If you want to check what is going on in Stockholm at the time of your visit, find a hotel deal or just browse, this is the official tourist site:

• Pros:water everywhere, lively, clean
  • Cons:expensive and impossible housing situation, dark winters
  • In a nutshell:Steamships and pub crawls
  • Last visit to Stockholm: Dec 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2012

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Stockholm is probably at the top of my travel wish list. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Great page

• Muscovite's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Great page, exactly what I was looking for! Good to know not everyone is happy about Kulturhuset and its glass/steel brothers ruining houses of character. It seems to be the same story everywhere in the world – don’t know if it helps, though.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Excellent page.!Your tips are not just giving me information but also a 'feel ' for the city. It's so good to read a piece written by someone who feels passionately about their own place.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I really want to see your beautiful city!

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Hello Skalman, Outstanding pages. Thanks for the virtual tour. Tomas Eriksson :)

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 5:53 AM

It seems by accident, I took a picture from the same angle as you on Söder. Fjällgatan & Mariaberget panoramas are great. I would have miss it if not of your recommendation. Thanks!

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 2:27 AM

A funny name for us Spanish speakers is Tumba which means "grave" so everytime I see the train to Tumba so empty (as opposed to the one to Västerhaninge) I always laugh and think "well nobody wants to go there".

• PALLINA's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 8:38 AM

I think I have missed the Bromma Church! what a pity...next time! thanks for sharing

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 7:15 AM

I will have the opportunity to make several trips to Stockholm in the next months, so I will treasure your tips on restaurants.

Sjalen Was Born Here!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Stockholm

Have you been to Stockholm?

Latest Activity in Stockholm