"Historic student city" Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala by Sjalen
Uppsala Travel Guide: 341 reviews and 927 photos
Uppsala is one of Sweden's most famous cities since it is one of the two "Oxbridges" of the country with thousands of students. Less than an hour north of Stockholm, it is easy to visit and although you are met by a boring concrete downtown as you leave the station, you will soon be emerged in the more historic quarters up hill with Sweden's most famous cathedral, and student history galore. One of the best reasons for going to Uppsala is also to visit Old Uppsala with its famous burial mounds - one of the most historical places in all Sweden.
Uppsala is Sweden's fourth largest city and I, living in Malmo which is the third, have read that the city's politicians would like it to surpass Malmo in a few decades. Whilst Malmo with its position next to Copenhagen keeps growing, Uppsala could succeed one day. At least it too has a major airport nearby which is a start.
The pictures on this page might be of varying quality but that's what happens when hubby forgets the camera battery back in Stockholm and leaves me with his mobile phone camera :)))
If you want more tips after these, just check out the official tourist site: http://www.uppland.nu/
- Pros:historic, student atmosphere
- Cons:too overwhelmingly academic
- In a nutshell:The history of Sweden
You can get to this magnificent Baroque castle by boat from Uppsala in summer as m/s Carl Gustaf leaves from its quay... more travel advice
Valpurgis (30 April) is more important in Uppsala than anywhere else in Sweden I think. We all celebrate the arrival of... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Uppsala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Uppsala - Sweden's oldest university town"
- "My favorite Swedish town"
- "Uppsala by Maline"
- "Historic student city"
- "UPPSALA - An Underrated Unique Scandnavian City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uppsala
- Hotels in Uppsala
- Transportation in Uppsala
- Nightlife in Uppsala
- Restaurants in Uppsala
- Shopping in Uppsala
- Warnings and Dangers in Uppsala
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uppsala
- 16 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Uppsala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uppsala
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues