"History, industry and water" Top 5 Page for this destination Västerås by Sjalen
Västerås Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 266 photos
Västerås, these days mainly famous for being one of Ryanair's "Stockholm" airports, is a great place for a daytrip - even more if you want to explore the surroundings which are full of viking remains, classic castles and industrial heritages.
To us Swedes, it is mainly famous for being the home of ASEA, which has since merged with a Swiss firm to form ABB. This is a city of train- and power station making. It has suffered a lot in later years and the huge ASEA complex by the Central station is empty apart from for a few new, small companies which have moved in. However, it still has a feeling of history in its Old Town and the position by the huge Lake Mälaren means there is plenty to escape to on a sunny day!
- Pros:lakeside position, fascinating countryside
- Cons:public drunkeness in parks
- In a nutshell:Vikings and trains
Summertime, there are several to chose from. One of the most popular (and regular) is to go to the island of Elba (yes!)... more travel advice
Västerås is one of the two train making cities in Sweden (the other being Kalmar with less and less production) and you... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Västerås Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Västerås, Anundshög and the surrounding area"
- "History, industry and water"
- "A pitstop in Västerås"
- "A small Swedish town...."
- "Västerås - Gurkstaden."
- "A nice and relaxing city"
- "Staying over..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Västerås
- Transportation in Västerås
- Nightlife in Västerås
- Restaurants in Västerås
- Shopping in Västerås
- Warnings and Dangers in Västerås
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Västerås
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Västerås?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Västerås
Photos in VästeråsSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues