"I used to call it home" Västervik by Sjalen

Västervik Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 16 photos

I lived in Västervik from 4 to 10 years-old, i.e. the formative years of my life and I look back on that period as a very happy one for several reasons. The one I will mention here is because Västervik is such a gem along the Swedish coast.

The town is famous for being where ABBA's Björn Ulvaeus grew up and he had a local band here (Hootenanny Singers!) before his ABBA days, and for the tennis player Stefan Edberg who has now helped to extend the tennis hall...However, the main Västervik claim to fame is the annual song festival in July (visfestivalen), held in the old castle ruins. The town gets packed during a few hectic days and the summer visitors are enough to justify Västervik having more restaurants than anywhere in the country per capita. Unfortunately, it is a bit of a transportational backwater which means there aren't many jobs so the town has never really grown - especially since the medieval shipping yards closed and Sweden stopped its warfare. Were it not for the lack of interesting jobs and closed childrens' hospital wards, you would probably see this as my home town.

• Pros:Beautiful seaside town, lively in summer, sunny
  • Cons:Dead in winter, bad communications
  • In a nutshell:You won't regret coming during summer
  • Last visit to Västervik: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2005

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2004 at 4:39 AM

Great page! I see I missed so much. Had experienced a heavy cloudburst when I was here in 2000.

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2003 at 2:53 PM

Charlotta!! why does time fly quicker than a Concord?? Stop it, please, I want to revisit your SWEDEN! thanks for the nice photos and fine snippets of info to read! bes-elisabeth

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2002 at 3:57 AM

Lots of info...but would love to see pics of the old town.

• Spader's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2002 at 4:29 PM

Very nice page indeed!! Hope you get back on top 5:)

• Porteplume's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2002 at 9:05 AM

"A lot of very useful infos, great page again..." And I'll add that I love your country, but you knew that ! ;-))) - Amicalement - Viviane

• Aabebi's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2002 at 6:47 AM

looks like a very nice place thanks

Sjalen Used To Live Here!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Västervik

Have you been to Västervik?

Latest Activity in Västervik