"Capital of the inner archipelago" Vaxholm by Sjalen
Vaxholm Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 81 photos
Vaxholm is the only town in the inner Stockholm archipelago and therefore known as its capital. Because of its proximity to the capital itself, it is a popular place for daytrips, especially as it is also easy to reach both by boat and bus from Stockholm and many locals in fact get the best of both worlds and commute.
The town is mainly known for its old island fortress which is a prime sight, but also for pleasant wooden quarters, of course lived in by more affluent citizens. As you step of the boat or bus, you end up by the modernised quays but walk a couple of blocks beyond that and get lost in the alleys...
If you are into sailing and boating, there is hardly a better place. Sweden has more pleasure boats than most countries per capita, and of course the capital's archipelago is the scene for much of that life. Spend a day or two out here and you can feast your eyes upon most types, as seen in this picture where an old sailing ship is followed by the steam ship Storskär and a motor boat. In fact the name Vaxholm has nothing to do with wax but is thought to come from "vaka" as that is what sailors to into the wind.
- Pros:scenic, seaside
- Cons:I cannot afford a house here
- In a nutshell:Idyllic haven
You can get here by bus from Stockholm too but that would be cheating. Boat is the way to arrive in Vaxholm in style and... more travel advice
Just stroll around the old wooden part of Vaxholm. Let yourself get lost meandering up and down alleys full of lovely... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Vaxholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Archipelago’s Gateway to the Capital"
- "Capital of the inner archipelago"
- "Vaxholm in winter"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vaxholm
- Hotels in Vaxholm
- Transportation in Vaxholm
- Nightlife in Vaxholm
- Restaurants in Vaxholm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vaxholm
- 12 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (197)
Have you been to Vaxholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vaxholm
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues