"Capital of glass and US emigrants" Top 5 Page for this destination Växjö by Sjalen
Växjö Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 169 photos
Vaxjo - "the town by the lakes where all the roads meet" is an old market town founded by English bishop Saint Sigfrid and a city where I have always had family and have studied. Swedes don't consider this the most exiting place in the country and it is difficult to have fun here 365 days a year but Växjö nevertheless has some real gems hidden behind the unsurprising High Street (Storgatan) and its pedestrian area and it is picking up since the college was recently given university status. Capital of County Kronoberg (one of three Småland counties) which thousands of people left in the 19th and early 20th century to try to find a better life in for instance the USA and Canada, this is the place where Americans with Swedish ancestors come to do research at the Emigrant House and this is also where you should go if you are interested in glass and you make a tour of the Kingdom of Glass in southeast Småland since the glass museum holds some real treasures. Finally, whilst the city itself might not leave a lasting impression apart from its towering cathedral landmark and many lakes, so will the countryside with castle ruins and picturesque lakeside villages. I also have to say, biased or not, that it is hard to find friendlier people in Sweden - at least in the south.
- Pros:friendly, nice countryside, interesting museums
- Cons:plain city centre, communications could be better
- In a nutshell:A good base to explore surroundings...
These houses belong to the oldest semi detached in Växjö and I think they are marvellous! Most semi-detached houses in... more travel advice
Every 1 May there is the Växjöloppet which not only has a half marathon distance but also a 10 or 4,5 kilometre course... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Växjö Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of glass and US emigrants"
- "Oh holy glass and glass blowing maestros"
- "Henrik's Växjö page"
- "Capital of "The Kingdom of Crystal""
- "Vaxjo - Turn Left at IKEA"
- "WELCOME TO MY VäXJö PAGE......:-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Växjö
- Hotels in Växjö
- Transportation in Växjö
- Restaurants in Växjö
- Shopping in Växjö
- Warnings and Dangers in Växjö
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Växjö
- 30 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Växjö?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Växjö
Photos in VäxjöSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues