"Between Sweden and Denmark" Ven by Sjalen
Ven Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 87 photos
Ven is known to Swedes for an old poem and later song known as "Flicka från Backafall". It is about a sailor on a ship in the Caribbean and all he really wants is to be back on beautiful Ven. It's not hard to understand why, and in these intro pictures, you see the "backafalls" that the island is so famous for. These are steep grassy cliffs by the sea ("hill falls") and are what gives Ven its special character. Well...along with the fact that it is right in between Sweden and Denmark, in the middle of the narrow Öresund Strait that separates the two countries. It is a bit closer to Sweden than to Denmark but the reason it became Swedish after the treaty with the Danes was that the Swedes demanded it so the Danes couldn't fortify it. On top of that, the Danes had already altered the island's county to belong to Helsingborg rather than Helsingoer.
Ven is also spelt in the old fashioned way of Hven sometimes since the island got its name from the word Hwaethaen, meaning "surrounded by (sea) spray" . There is also a legend claiming that the name comes from an old hag who ruled here. It was in any case only a Swedish spelling reform in 1906 which took away the "hv combination" in the language that changed this, much to the annoyance of the locals who felt it was a place name and not just any word - they therefore kept their spelling until 1958!
It is a small island, only about 7 kilometres long, which means I would probably go bananas if I lived here along with the other 370 people as everyone seems to know everything about each other (there used to be 1300 locals once). Apart from that though, people are extremely friendly and well aware of the fact that tourists bring the bacon but it still feels very genuine. Apart from the general tourists, astronomy students come from all over the world to see what is left of astronomer Brahe's famous observatory. Many locals commute by boat to Landskrona daily - something that must be horrible in winter, but which they clearly think worth it to be able to live on their paradise island. I can understand them. I first came here in May 2006, but have returned to the island as it is just too good to keep away from despite being rather small.
- Pros:easy to get around, scenic, great food and drink, lots of bikes and hardly any cars!
- Cons:small, windy in bad weather
- In a nutshell:Romantic weekend with good food
Ven ice cream belongs to the best I have tried in Sweden! It is nice and creamy and still full of flavour - and those... more travel advice
No I'm not joking. Play golf with a football in this farm near Bäckviken...It is a mix between crazy (mini) golf and... more travel advice
- See All Nämndemansgården Heritage Farm
- See All Helsingborg-Helsingoer views
- Ven durum wheat products
- Look at the moon
Sjalen's Related Pages
Ven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ven a small Island between Sweden and Denmark"
- "Between Sweden and Denmark"
- "Swedish since 1658 - Was a Danish Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ven
- Hotels in Ven
- Transportation in Ven
- Nightlife in Ven
- Restaurants in Ven
- Shopping in Ven
- Warnings and Dangers in Ven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ven
- 25 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Ven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ven
Photos in VenSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues