"The half timbered town" Top 5 Page for this destination Ystad by Sjalen
Ystad Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 92 photos
Ystad is often seen as Sweden's southernmost town, although this is in fact neighbouring Trelleborg. Nevertheless, this town is far from the highlands and archipelagos of upland Sweden and it will remind you more of a quaint little Danish (as it once was) or German town. It has more than 300 half timbered houses which give it an idyllic atmosphere and many of the houses are today hotels and restaurants and very much alive rather than museums. There are also little smugglers alleys where the colourful cottages are today very expensive. Outside the town centre is the long beach with its pine forest planted to stop the sand flight and its Mediterranean looking spa hotels.
But Ystad also has another side to it as one of the gateways to Sweden and the sound of ferries coming and going is always present. This means that in summer, the town is very lively and booking your accommodation is a must, especially as Ystad is also the gateway to the scenic Österlen area.
- Pros:picturesque, excellent transport
- Cons:too far for me to commute :-)))
- In a nutshell:Cosy and scenic transport hub
Trains leave frequently from Malmö and Simrishamn for Ystad. There are also direct trains from Copenhagen to match the... more travel advice
Sjalen's Related Pages
Ystad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The half timbered town"
- "Kurt Wallander's Beat!"
- "Igraine's Ystad Page"
- "Ystad is a calm atmospheric town"
- "Inspector Wallander?"
- "YSTAD-BEAUTIFULL CITY IN THE SOUTH OF SWEDEN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ystad
- Hotels in Ystad
- Transportation in Ystad
- Restaurants in Ystad
- Shopping in Ystad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ystad
- 15 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Ystad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ystad
Photos in YstadSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 166 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 80 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 105 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö Intro, 79 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Intro, 46 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Visby Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 72 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 35 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues