"Bornholm in a nutshell" Gudhjem by Sjalen

Gudhjem Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 11 photos

This picture does in no way do justice to the way my legs felt after biking down this hill! Northern Bornholm is hilly and Gudhjem is the hilliest of the northern towns. In fact, there are streets you are not even allowed to cycle down :)))

Gudhjem is essentially what Bornholm is about with steep hills, scenic cliffs nearby, lots of nice Danish food and cosiness and the ever present sea. Add to that several good art museums and a central location good for touring several other cultural sights and you find a great base. The only negative comment I would have is that the locals are aware of this and many have an "over-the-top" cheerfulness compared to the natural approach we found around Svaneke-Aarsdale for instance. But don't get me wrong, I loved the place and hope to be back soon, especially since the weather was at its absolute worst on Bornholm that summer on the day we visited the town. Consequently, the pictures do no justice whatsoever and lots of sights were never seen as we wanted to make our way to Svaneke (and our en suite stay on the island) before the next downpour. Give me time and you will see a lot more on this page.

• Pros:pretty, good restaurants, central
  • Cons:touristy
  • In a nutshell:A must see.
  • Last visit to Gudhjem: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2005

Comments

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Badges & Stats in Gudhjem

Have you been to Gudhjem?

Latest Activity in Gudhjem